Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: Speedwell Forge Lake: refilled last yr, fairly good bass fishing already

From Brickerville
Sasquatch I am not going to argue why it was rebuilt. I do not like bass in the upper section but there is nothing keeping them in speedwell so it was going to happen. Speedwell is problematic for the lower hammer because it is a top release. At one point last year I took a temp in the lower hammer that was at 80*.

Posted on: 6/29 14:16

The suggestion that bass in the upper Hammer, if by upper Hammer individuals mean above the lake, came from fish swimming upstream from Speedwell would have a major problem. Where did the early introduction of apparently substantial numbers of yearling or older bass come from that we are now seeing as 14-15 inchers? My first reaction was a pond overflow somewhere in the drainage. What other support is there for that? There is also a large population of mosquito fish in the lake. They were not there when the lake was drawn down.

Finally, why are bass suddenly in upper Hammer? You can't say it is because Speedwell has a good bass population; Speedwell has always had a good bass population and that population at present is most likely not as large as it was prior to the drawdown. Could the bass reported here above Speedwell be from Speedwell? Yes. Is it unusual to find bass in a wild trout stream in any real quantity above a lake? Absolutely. Would I expect them to be present or survive there for an extended period without substantial additional input? No. Trout stream temps are not their preferred temps.

Posted on: 6/29 17:15

Edited by Mike on 2017/6/29 17:39:35

From Ephrata, PA
Mike I do think it's a bit of a mystery. Maybe a local pond flooded over like you said. I don't know. There's a lot of them in there! But I still struggle to find the logic of building a man-made lake. It seems like a lot of money for something that will just fill up w/ silt again. Are there any plans to control silt coming in from Hammer?

Nomad-I don't know what would have happened to lower Hammer if they didn't rebuild the lake and just focused on restoring the stream. It's hard for me to think of lower Hammer as anything but a warm put-and-take fishery. But maybe the cold water from upstream would have extended. Not a lot of cover down there, though. Lots of open farm fields.

Posted on: 6/29 20:06

From lancaster county
Because they need a lake beside the SE PFBC regional office is why!

In all seriousness I'm with Andy on this one. We had a great opportunity to restore hammer in that section, extend wild trout mileage in Lancaster, make a park with trails and benches and plant trees.
Instead we get a lake you can't swim in.

Mike define extended period? They have been there for months. I don't expect they will leave until fall.

Posted on: 6/29 22:53

How about this theory:

As the lake was drained, the bass moved upstream into the creek to survive.

As the lake refilled, some of the bass dropped back down into the lake. Explaining the large adult bass in the lake.

But not all the bass have dropped back down yet; some are still found up in the creek. But that situation will probably not continue very long.

Posted on: 6/29 23:05

From lancaster county
What is considered not very long Dwight?
It's been months now and the trout population is taking a pretty good hit in the meantime.

Posted on: 6/29 23:17

From Brickerville
Sasquatch - I agree the Lower hammer is a great put and take fishery and does deserve the three stockings it receives especially considering the amount of fishing pressure that occurs in the first few months of the season.

As of the Upper hammer I will be honest I only fish it once or twice a year from pumping station upstream into the game lands and haven't really done too well or been very impressed so I typically fish elsewhere. I have not gotten into any bass in that stretch of water.

Posted on: 6/30 8:31

From lancaster county
I fished 3 different streams today. I just left that section of hammer.
Unless you are willing to toss a streamer in the deep slow stuff you won't get them.
Kept my limit of bass....
Again

Posted on: 6/30 15:40

Bass are the problem? It's not last summer and fall's low flows and not last summer's heat on top of that? No, it is just the bass?

If the bass are that numerous in the creek and many are 12 inches and up, then I recommend fishing for bass, as that is a pretty good fishery for the time being.

Posted on: 7/3 12:14

From Greensburg, PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

JeffP wrote:
So who stocked the adult bass?

The OP does raise the question: Where did the big bass come from?

How empty did they let the lake get? I have experienced empty reservoirs after a good snowpack and giving up 20+ inch fish in September after 7 inchers were planted in April. If there was a lot of regrown vegetation its not only possible, its likely. Not sure in the case of this lake.

Posted on: 7/3 17:51

From lancaster county
Fishing it in the winter and early spring was good in fact very good.
When I have gone since the bass stocking it has been poor, very poor.
Most of the trout, what's left, are along the edges of the stream in 2-3 inches of water and have basically abandoned the "deeper" pools that are loaded with bass.
I would say they are the problem and I'm not the only one that thinks this, the population was great before this.

In the meantime, I don't plan on fishing it anymore. If I want bass there is a world class smallmouth fishery in my county.

I missed the part about what you consider an extended period amongst your sarcasm.

Posted on: 7/3 19:39

From Ephrata, PA
I was just going to say the same thing, Sal. It was fine in the Winter (Jan. and Feb.) and April through the first week or so into May.

Posted on: 7/3 19:47

The last bass stocked were stocked almost a year ago.

Posted on: 7/3 20:38

From lancaster county
It was my understanding it was a private stocking of the lake.

Posted on: 7/3 20:40

I am not aware of any private stocking.

Posted on: 7/3 20:42

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com