Snook rigging

stal42

stal42

Heading down to SE Florida in about a week and my friend is going to take me out for snook on his smaller boat. I'm looking for input on tactics and rigging for these fish. I've read that a shock leader is a must. I think I have 30lb. Would that work? Tippet? Sink tip? Weighted flies? The reel I'm bringing is spooled with wf floating line but I do have a sink tip I can throw on if that's advised. Or I can throw on small split shot if that's something you do for them. There's a little fly shop near his place where I can go to get flies, tippet, etc when I get down there.

I've been told evenings around dock lights are a solid targeting spot and he says there's lots of good lights along the intercoastal he lives on. I'm assuming we can also get afyer them during the day too? He's primarily an offshore guy so he doesn't have anything to offer with regard to fly fishing advice.

Thanks in advance for any input!

I've fished for snook once in Ft Lauderdale so I'm as far from an expert as you can get but here's what worked for me. I used a 10wt clear intermediate tip line on a 9wt Winston broomstick with about 6' of 30lb Rio Fluoro tippet. Thats it. 3"-4" flies, Clousers, seaducers, schminnows, and deceivers. Mostly white or chartreuse over white.

Again, I'm not sure but I think snook are up in the canals and estuaries this time of year. They don't push up on the beaches until later in the year. June-ish IIRC.

They're a blast. Good luck!

I have only fished for them in the Keys. I agree a 9wt is a good choice. Flys can be simple. Like turkey said, all white, chartreuse and white. Sometimes black and red was hot. I use a 9 ' leader tapered to 12lb. with 12 or 14'' of shock tippet. Tie flys on with a loop knot.
Snook can be picky as far as presentation. Sometimes you have to hit them on the head. Especially if the are laid up.

Hope you get em good,

GenCon

speaking as a Floridian---snook are weenies truthfully-caught many and one little run and they give up[they can cut you badly]---redfish,jacks,ladyfish are far more fun to catch--trout sorta fun because they are called trout mostly...lol
if you can get your pal to put you on reds-brawlers but not glamorous.
Like smallmouth bass,even more so.Snook are like pickerel .

Leader: 3ft 40 lb, 3ft 30lb, 3ft of 20 lb. General type of leader that the guide I fished with used for trout, reds, and snook or what ever struck. No wire unless you get into mackerel then about a foot of light stuff Albright Special to the mono. Loop Knot to the fly and a green and white Clouser should work just fine.
Snook do have a sharp gill plate so be careful.
If you fish around bridges or pilings a sink tip is a good choice if there is a good current flow. Keep the hooks sharp! Good luck.
Pete is right ,those fish he mentioned will pull a lot better than a snook GG

I have had good success fishing bridges during tides at nite- especially under lights. Pretty easy fishing really. Snook are very aggressive and agree on flies- shrimp imitations, clousers, deceivers. I'm partial to chartreuse. My leaders are simple- you can make your own or use store bough extruded leaders. I fished in and around Sarasota many times. Sounds great right about now.

Thanks for the info. Leaving tomorrow. I'll likely be fishing the intercoastal around the Boca Raton area and hopefully can get on some fish!

Some good info in stal. I usually use 30 pound flouro as tippet. I generally tie my snook flies with little less flash then I normally would. Hope you do well, I'll be Fising the Sarasota area this whole week.

It's been crazy warm down here this year. Temperatures didn't drop until a week or two ago, So im not sure that push into the "backcountry" has happened yet.

But what do i know, I've yet to catch more then small jacks, and barracuda out of the salt.

Taking the Kayak out around Islamorada tomorrow in hopes of some better luck.

Bosshog wrote:
Taking the Kayak out around Islamorada tomorrow in hopes of some better luck.

Was in Islamorada earlier this week. Water temps (according to my thermometer) were 77 degrees on both oceanside and gulfside. We found bonefish in 4-6' of water along with small jacks and muttons that day. When the front blew over on Monday the water temps dropped to 67 degrees in just 24 hours.
Send me a PM for more info if you're interested.

I'm originally from South Florida and those are the waters i grew up fishing. I would recommend a heavier tippet maybe 40 lb or a little less around a foot and a half in length. Flies best around dock lights are clouser minnows. If you do it right it should be a great time.

Good Luck

Was just down in SWFL a few days ago. They swear by 30-lb tippet. Use a loop knot to help the fly have more movement in the water (I had to learn this as I was hesitant to use such stiff line)

Back