Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Snakeheads

From Delaware Co.
I think I am finally gonna go out and target these guys sometime later this week . This one was caught in the Potomac.

Resized Image

Posted on: 2012/8/18 21:51

Re: Snakeheads

From newville PA
That is a nice one. The potomac is almost polluted with them. Kinda looks like you are in Mattawoman creek.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 11:12

From Delaware Co.
I guess I should of added that isn't me but you are correct that is Mattawomen. I plan on hitting a pond in Delaware that isn't to far from me sometime this week . I think this fish is going to be the next great fly rod fish they hit topwater more frequently than bass and are just a blast to catch and they get big .

Posted on: 2012/8/19 11:37

Good eating also.Had them in China.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 19:41

From Parkesburg
Snakeheads are absolutely brutal... it is scary to think what these snakeheads could do to fish populations in Pennsylvania.

Viewer discretion advised on the following video.

Snakehead shreds largemouth bass to peices.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPGmvemG6fk

Posted on: 2012/8/19 21:45

From Lehigh Valley
Kill every one of these you catch or see.

Posted on: 2012/8/19 22:26

From Delaware Co.
I plan to C&R they are here to stay just like the flatheads and rainbow and brown trout . I wouldnt mind eating one since I here they are delicious .

Posted on: 2012/8/20 0:27

From Chester County
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
I plan to C&R they are here to stay just like the flatheads and rainbow and brown trout . I wouldnt mind eating one since I here they are delicious .

Irresponsible! Every thing I've seen written by State Fish Agencies says to remove all snakeheads.

The introduction of exotic species into areas beyond their natural range shifts the balance of an eco-system. Exotics can introduce parasites, diseases and genetic pollution of closely related species. At the very least, even an otherwise innocuous exotic takes up space and food that might someday be used more beneficially by other species. http://fishandboat.com/water/fish/sna ... d/2004press_snakehead.htm

The northern snakehead, a predatory fish from China, has been caught at the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge in Tinicum Township (Delaware County).

The fish already been found in the Schuylkill and Delaware Rivers, causing ecologists and biologists to worry about the balance of nature in our area.

“An invasive species is an exotic that’s aggressively spreading,” he explains. “What happens when you have non-native species, they don’t have natural controls. They’re not evolving with predator-prey relationships. They may throw the whole system out of balance. It can do some serious, serious damage.”
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012 ... e-refuge-delaware-county/

Posted on: 2012/8/20 7:11

From Chester County
Some guys think more about their own fun catching fish and have little regard or respect for nature and the native species that inhabit our streams and rivers.

Yes, the genie is out of the bottle, and many of the native fishes have been displaced, but one should at least care enough to not compound the problem for the sake of their own fishing pleasure.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 7:58

Quote:
Some guys think more about their own fun catching fish and have little regard or respect for nature and the native species that inhabit our streams and rivers. Yes, the genie is out of the bottle, and many of the native fishes have been displaced, but one should at least care enough to not compound the problem for the sake of their own fishing pleasure.

Since afish gets to do the bully pulpit bit,I can +1 that.lol

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:47

From Berks County
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:

Wow, that was a dumb statement.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 8:54

From bucks county
are the snakeheads around enough up in the bucks county area to target them specifically? in a pond near me we found a dead one, mostly eaten. estimated at about 15 inches, head was left, thats how we i.d. told caretaker. pumped out the pond most of the way and checked every fish in it. it was the only one.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 9:25

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

Troy wrote:
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:

Wow, that was a dumb statement.

Oh how so

Posted on: 2012/8/20 10:54

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

nealfish wrote:
are the snakeheads around enough up in the bucks county area to target them specifically? in a pond near me we found a dead one, mostly eaten. estimated at about 15 inches, head was left, thats how we i.d. told caretaker. pumped out the pond most of the way and checked every fish in it. it was the only one.

Not sure about Bucs but they are Filthy in the tidal Potomac . Also they are in Fdr park and the Delaware river us far up as Trenton . Several lakes in Delaware and New Jersey also have big populations.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:46

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
It's like saying we're not going to worry about didymo. It was introduced into the streams and will screw up the ecosystem. It may be impossible to remove them but we should at least try.

Posted on: 2012/8/20 11:57

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes
No
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com