Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Snakehead update: The Giving Pond, DCNR lake, upper Bucks Co

From Philadelphia, PA
From what I've been reading the Northern Snakehead follow the same pattern as most fish in the area. They move to deeper water in the winter and are not as active. According to one of the articles I read they can survive as far north as Hudson Bay. If you want to go after them you could.
Fredrick, I think we're interpreting the law differently. It says no live snakehead can be released in PA waters. I interpret that as applying to one you catch.
"Anglers catching snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email"

Posted on: 11/27 12:49

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

JerryC wrote:
From what I've been reading the Northern Snakehead follow the same pattern as most fish in the area. They move to deeper water in the winter and are not as active. According to one of the articles I read they can survive as far north as Hudson Bay. If you want to go after them you could.
Fredrick, I think we're interpreting the law differently. It says no live snakehead can be released in PA waters. I interpret that as applying to one you catch.
"Anglers catching snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email"

Here are the Pa regs Jerry how do you interpret them ?

http://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/Penns ... shes/Pages/Snakehead.aspx

PA REGULATIONS

•It is unlawful for a person to sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter live snakehead species in Pennsylvania.

•It is unlawful to possess live snakehead species in Pennsylvania.

•It is unlawful to introduce or import live snakehead species into Pennsylvania waters.

•Transportation of live snakehead species in or through Pennsylvania is prohibited.

I read its as follows you may not be in possession of a live snakehead . And you cant introduce a snakehead into other waters . So if you keep the fish it cant be alive and you cant introduce it so you have to release to the water were you caught it .

IF YOU CATCH ONE

Anglers catching snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email.

This is not regulation and does not say kill dispose is loose term used to get ride of something
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/dispose

Posted on: 11/28 13:24

From Northern VA
Also it says "ENCOURAGED to not release it". It does not say REQUIRED.

Posted on: 11/28 16:55

From Ohio
Ok, obviously you can't transport a live snakehead or reintroduce it somewhere.

So three other options would be to kill it and put it in a cooler, or on your stringer, or in the trash where legal. You're disposing it, not releasing it, and not introducing it anywhere. Seems like people are trying to find an excuse to release the snakeheads they catch. No matter how much you dissect the wording of the regs, it doesn't make killing and disposing snakeheads a difficult task to do. Just be upfront that you'd rather release them because they're fun to catch. You're legally allowed to do so

Posted on: 11/28 20:11

From Delaware Co.
I talked to a Wco yesterday and he seconded on what I said about not being able to posses one alive and if you don’t won’t to creel the fish release it immediately to were it was caught. He also said that the state cannot require you to kill the fish but encourage you to. If you still don’t believe me ask yourself .
http://pfbc.pa.gov/forms/contactUs.htm

Posted on: 11/29 1:00

From Ohio
No, I totally believe you. No confusion on my part.

But the key here is "don't want to creel the fish." So by not wanting to creel the fish, you have to release it on the spot. That's true. But why not creel the fish(obviously killing it first)? Again, you're disposing it and aren't introducing a live one anywhere.

I'm not saying it's wrong to release any you catch where they're established. If you prefer to release them then go for it, you're legally allowed.......just saying the wording of law doesn't make it difficult in any way to creel/dispose of them.

Posted on: 11/29 8:55

From collegeville, pa
What color buggers are best for snake heads?...

Posted on: 2017/12/1 16:48

From Delaware Co.
Never fished a bugger for them white or back should be fine .

https://youtu.be/fmgDc5R6D9A

Posted on: 2017/12/2 10:26

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com