HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: Snakehead Woes and bias

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

jifigz wrote:
This is purely my opinion, but I don't see snakeheads having much of an effect on the majority of our waterways. I think that most of our rivers have more current than they prefer and so they would be found in the slack water areas. I don't think that they are going to our smallmouth populations. For those of you that are worried about trout being displaced, I really don't think the snakehad would be at home in trout streams. Trout waters are generally higher gradient, colder, with less areas of super slack water that is densley vegetated.

That is my opinion too.

Same reason you don't see bowfin there.

I agree with the opinion that they won't be as devastating as originally stated.

Where they are at already, there are there to stay whether we kill or release the ones we might catch. What I don't want to see is opinionated bucket biologists spreading them to other lakes and ponds, but I spose this is inevitable.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 9:18

From Delaware Co.
Dave have you watched this fish survey video yet ?
https://youtu.be/uUNCd9Vwxpc

Posted on: 2018/7/18 9:23

My earlier is mostly opinion neutral and you come back with that?

If you mean the fishing video, I think I did see it before. Looks like fun.

Not sure I would kill one there, but I definitely wouldn't eat it.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 9:29

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

It’s a video of a electro shocking for snakeheads with a Virginia fishery biologist. Allot of questions are answered in this video they even talk about Bowfin. I must of copied wrong link some how sorry
https://youtu.be/R23-ThVeZ8o

Posted on: 2018/7/18 9:34

No it isn't.

Apparently you posted the wrong link.

About that location...

I probably wouldn't kill one, and her is why.

1. It wouldn't make any difference at this point.
2. Even as a bass and panfish fan, I know that these predators will likely reduce the numbers of bass, panfish, etc, but the bass that are left, will be bigger.

But if I catch one in a local lake, I will kill it with extreme prejudice.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 9:44

Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:

It’s a video of a electro shocking for snakeheads with a Virginia fishery biologist. Allot of questions are answered in this video they even talk about Bowfin. I must of copied wrong link some how sorry
https://youtu.be/R23-ThVeZ8o

i watched part of it, then got busy.

What was supposed to learn from that?

That electo-fishing and removal can keep them in check?

Posted on: 2018/7/18 10:59

From Greensburg, PA
what Fred meant to say was "I don't why it WOULDN'T be snakes heads..." :)

Posted on: 2018/7/18 11:41

From Chester County
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:

Posted on: 2018/7/18 11:43

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:

Sorry I missed the joke on this one .

Posted on: 2018/7/18 12:18

From Glenmoore
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:

Nice touch!

Posted on: 2018/7/18 12:53

From SE Pa
Time to end the controversy. I am the real Poopy. I am also sure it is said with love not hate.

Fred thanks for continually posting articles written by non-expert snakehead fishing enthusiast media writers claiming media writers have given snakeheads a bad name. Continue posting videos of experts claiming angler harvest of snakeheads is needed and has been successful in trying to maintain balance. Your proving my point without knowing it.

Again, I'm not advocating the total elimination of snakeheads. It seems impossible according to the experts. I'm simply saying do what the experts think should be done to control them. One thing that seems to be undisputed is the need to control them. You can eat them if you like. This way everybody can be happy.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 12:54

I will not feel good about yet another predatory invasive species. Somehow flathead catfish are appearing in different waterways in eastern PA. Unless it against PAFBC regulations, I will kill everyone I catch. Just like I would kill rusty crayfish (if that is the name). Killifish in our waterways?

Posted on: 2018/7/18 21:41

From the PAf&BC web site:

IF YOU CATCH ONE
Anglers catching Snakeheads should dispose of them properly. Anglers suspecting they have caught a Snakehead are encouraged to NOT release it, and report it to the Commission at 610-847-2442 or via email.

Perhaps some know better than them.

Posted on: 2018/7/18 21:55

From Granville
Quote:

outsider wrote:
I will not feel good about yet another predatory invasive species. Somehow flathead catfish are appearing in different waterways in eastern PA. Unless it against PAFBC regulations, I will kill everyone I catch. Just like I would kill rusty crayfish (if that is the name). Killifish in our waterways?

Flatheads worry me too more. I have known they've been up in my neck of the woods for some time in the Juniata. If I recall correctly Klingy posted a picture years ago of one he nabbed on a streamer. Now, this fish below, is the first big flathead that I've seen from the upper Juniata. This does not make me happy. Snakeheads are totally different creatures but I fear flatheads a lot more.

A disclaimer. I didn't catch this fish nor did I see it caught. A winery customer showed the picture to me and I have no reason to doubt them..

Attach file:

jpg  Attach21992_20180706_164514-960x720-384x288.jpg (30.47 KB)
9377_5b4ff5e3697f9.jpg 384X288 px

Posted on: 2018/7/18 22:24

Quote:

outsider wrote:

Outsider, or should I call you "not poopy", I don't feel good about it either, but I personally am more concerned with invasive species that muck up the bottom end of the food chain. Take the silver and big head carp now running roughshod through the Mississippi drainage. There are places now where they account for 90% of the biomass and this is a huge flowing watershed.

On the other hand, there are sections where they haven't taken over even though they can be found in large numbers below and above those sections.

This probably indicates that they simply do well in waters already impaired.

Anyway, that would be a different thread.

Back to snakeheads. IMO Frederick is correct on the main point. Snakehead will not be nearly as devastating as initially reported (IMO). That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Press loves to sensationalize nearly everything and I am sure that sold a lot of copy (and it'e electronic version). It's obvious (to me) that they are and will continue to have impact. But to what extent, who knows. In waters that have an imbalance of fish, they can ever have a long term positive impact, but I don't support using invasive species for that. This has been tried with so many thing and usually creates other negatives.

Can these fish take over an entire pond in Maryland (for example). I have no doubt that they can. But can they take over a more open environment that has healthy predator prey relationship? Probably not.

Do not read that as support for Snakeheads. I don't support them. I am not glad that they are here, nor do I think they should be propagated or introduced into new waters. But it is likely that they will have less impact than Brown Trout have had on Brook Trout. IMO of course.

If I catch any, I will likely kill them. I definitely will if I catch one in a place where they are not known to be established. If I catch one in Fred's favorite frog water where they are well established? Maybe.

Posted on: 2018/7/19 6:42

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com