Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Smallmouth set up

From SE Pa
I do more fly fishing for smallmouth due to living in SE pa. Was wondering what's a good set up for smallmouth on the delaware river where I generally fish in 3 to 10 feet of water. Not interested in makes of rods and reels but general set ups regarding rod weight and type of fly line (weight forward, sink tip, double taper, etc).

I started with a 5 wt floating weight forward line but I find throwing the clousers, large wooley buggers and anything with a zonker on it somewhat difficult as they seem to do a lot of flailing around in comparison to a small dry or nymph. I am assuming that my equipment is more to blame then my casting. Any suggestions would be appreciated by me and my fishing partner.

Posted on: 1/7 19:16

Re: Smallmouth set up
From Gettysburg
A 7WT with a floating, WF line is your best all around bet.

Posted on: 1/7 19:46

From Frederick, MD & New Philly, OH
Leader length can be an issue. Shorten it up to 4-6 feet to increase your distance while wading. Try to limit the amount of false casting and fling it out. I have found false casting too much is tiring and leads to a clapsed cast sometimes.

Posted on: 1/7 23:01

From Ransom, Pennsylvania
My favorite smallmouth rig is a 9'6" 6-weight Orvis Clearwater rod, fitted with a Cabela's Prestige Premier reel. I carry one spool with a (now discontinued) Rio Clouser WF6F for general fishing, and a spare spool with an SA Professional WF6F/S III sink tip line for deeper/faster water. For leaders, I use a Cabela's 9' 8# Bass tapered leader with the floating line and a Cabela's 6' 10# Bass leader for the sink tip.
'
'

Posted on: 1/8 2:25

From Pipersville Pa.
My best choice for me is a 9' 6wt. Wt forward. I prefer a moderate action rod. I agree with a fairly short leader but I tie my own. Also like sniperfreak mentioned a sink tip comes in real handy at times.

GenCon

Posted on: 1/8 7:47

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

Had this same problem just a couple weeks ago. I ended up with a 6wt 9'. Came down to a TFO Clouser or redington vapen. Finally got a chance to cast both and ended up with the Vapen. With a shorter leader with 1x tippet throws bigger streamers like darts. I have rio gold wf6 line on there now but may go up to a 7wt line.

Posted on: 1/8 13:45

From New Cumberland
I am also looking for input on a new smallmouth rod to use on the Harrisburg area warm water creeks and from my kayak on the Juniata. I was using my 8 wt orvis access but decided to leave it at our place in Florida last week after having a blast with sea trout and red fish on the flats of Sarasota bay. I found it a bit too heavy for the local waters. So... should I pop for a 6 or a 7 wt to throw clousers and small poppers? My wife gave me a nice gift cert for Christmas. May all my decisions be as tough.

Posted on: 1/8 16:48

From lower burrell, pa
Check out the Shadow Warrior 7 wt, love mine

Posted on: 1/8 16:51

From SE Pa
Never gone below a 3X tippet maybe I should try that on the 5wt. Never tried a leader below 7' either. I usually use a 7' foot furled thread leader with about 2 to 3 feet of 3X tippet. I have noticed less flailing around with the clousers when I fish a shorter length of tippet. I shall now try a 5' furled leader and 2 to 3 ft of 1X or 2X tippet. Thanks for all the suggestions. I seem to be buying fly rods at an alarming pace but I think a 6wt may be in order as well. I'm gonna have to make another set of rod racks for the basement.

Posted on: 1/8 19:54

From Bucks County
For my SEPA smallmouth set up I rock a 6wt rod with a WFF line. Have maybe a 5-6' leader for some of the bigger bugs. I started out with an 8wt, but I like the feel the 6wt gives me when fighting smaller fish, and it still has the backbone for larger smallmouth and some smallish/medium carp.

Posted on: 1/14 19:49

From Fairless Hills, PA
I suggest the Colton Slipstream XS rod. This is a new rod design by Colton. The 6wt has a small fighting butt too.

I have this rod, and I am casting a Rio Gold WF6F line. This is a fast action rod. The stiff butt section of a fast action rod comes in handy if you hook a larger fish in heavy current. The tip flex also allows you to put more line in the air when casting. This is why I chose the Rio Gold with it's 47-foot head. The 47-foot head section weighs 266 grains, so you'll need a fast action rod for optimal performance. I like to throw the smaller #4 Clousers with this setup, but it also works with the #2 size Clouser.

I also use a 7wt Colton Tradewinds rod for throwing the larger 1/50 oz #2 Clousers. The line I use with this rod is the Rio Cold Water Clouser WF7F.

I usually use the 6wt. I have tried a lot of different 6wt rods. Take my advice. Get a fast action or tip flex rod. Any brand name will do, but make sure it's a fast action rod. In my experience, these rods are the best for throwing Clousers and larger poppers.

I like the Colton rods and believe they are an excellent value. Also check out Flying Pig Performance Fly Rods or the TFO TiCr series.
Or the newer TFO BVK series.

Posted on: 1/15 20:16

From Ohio
What FI said. The 7 wt line will make a big difference with those heavy or wind resistant flies that are needed for smallmouth.

Posted on: 1/22 7:19

From Harrisburg
Dear poopdeck,

I don't fish anything smaller than a size 6 fly for smallmouth and I often fish size 1 to 3/0 flies. If you buy a 5 1/2' mono furled leader of 16# test and attach 2' to 2 1/2' of 8# test as tippet you can cast a small dog easily with proper rod.

Get an 8 weight and be done with it.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 1/25 10:21
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From S.E. PA
I use an 8 and a half foot 5wt and leaders from 5-7'. I fish mostly creeks and smaller rivers.

Posted on: 1/28 20:29

From SE Pa
Holy smokes a 5 1/2 foot 16lb furled mono leader sounds more like a survival bracelet. I furl my own leaders and even though that sounds massively out of order ill give a mega leader a try.

Posted on: 1/29 9:04

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com