Smallmouth Inquiry - Altoona area

Houli

Houli

Hello all,

I'll be up that way visiting in-laws this weekend and the uncles expressed interest in fishing. I typically fish LJ or Spring but wanted to give smallies a shot. I'll most likely be the only one with a fly rod - anyone have recommendations on general areas that are wadable to check out?

If you're willing to help out through PM i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch.

Ryan

For smallies hit the Juniata River for sure. Poppers early and late and weighted streamers for the rest of the time. Top water after dark as well. I am familiar with the lower end, maybe someone can suggest a spot higher up.

There are smallies in the lower Little J as well.

Check with Rothrock Outfitters, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

Along with the options above, you might want to check out the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata also. I have done quite a bit of smallie fishing on the lower section of it near Water Street. There is a rails to trails project that follows a good portion of it too. Got into a lot of smaller fish with a few nice ones mixed in there. That was some fun fishing. Good luck.

Jay

thanks for reply .... how do water levels look for wading? LJ (Altoona - Tyrone) ..... ..... LJ (Below Tyrone - spruce creek) ...... LJ (below barree) ...... J (Frankstown Branch)? I'd rather play it safe than be sorry.

Thanks felllas.

Houli wrote:
thanks for reply .... how do water levels look for wading? LJ (Altoona - Tyrone) ..... ..... LJ (Below Tyrone - spruce creek) ...... LJ (below barree) ...... J (Frankstown Branch)? I'd rather play it safe than be sorry.

Thanks felllas.

Below is a link to the gauge on the LJ at Spruce Creek, with pic of the gauge below. Suggest you make other plans.

LJ at Spruce Creeek

Attachments

• LJ at Spruce.JPG
    LJ at Spruce.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 3
+1 for the frankstown branch, if you check the gauge at Williamsburg you'll probably want that to be below 400 cfs if you plan on wading. There are some dangerous wading areas there, but also some flat water that's pretty easy. There are not always many fish in that flat water though. Lots of fallfish usually.

Yikes ..... that chart looks no bueno. any idea what spring creek looks like?

Yep, most streams in the area are running pretty rough. Drove by Spring Creek this am below Fisherman's Paradise and its off color and moving good. The flyshops should have a better feel for conditions tho.

Another option for you might be Canoe Creek Lake if you don't mind fishing lakes. I fished it a few times when I first started my Musky Addiction a few years back. Theres quite a bit of open shoreline over on the Beach side of the lake. I was able to get into some largemouth while I was there.

Point access in Huntingdon and Corbins Island are both very wadeable spots with good smallmouth populations as well as many Rock Bass. There are so many places to access the river..just drive you will find them. And poppers have been working great for me lately and wooly buggers when they quite. Other streamers also very effective.

Back