Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Smallmouth Fishing in the East and West Branches of the Brandywine

Just wanted to weigh in and maybe get some feedback regarding smallie fishing on either branch of the Brandywine. I have been at it for a few seasons now, and although my buddy and I have caught some nice fish, we never really "slay 'em". Maybe it is just our technique or lack thereof (we usually wade) or is it really the fact that it is marginal habitat and doesn't hold large populations of smallies. I appreciate your comments.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 16:31

Re: Smallmouth Fishing in the East and West Branches of the Brandywine
From Gettysburg
I've never fished these creeks so will leave the answer to the folks from that neck of the woods who know them well. I have heard decent things about the Brandywine and would guess that you're doing fine. What you expect with regards to "slayin 'em" is relative but, in my experience on waters of similar size, I'd be happy in an afternoon or evening of FFing to get a dozen bass in the range of 8-12 inches. A 15" smallie on a medium sized creek is a pretty big fish and I would consider fish of this size to be much less prevalent than what one could expect in the Delaware or Susquehanna. I think sometimes that some bass fishermen get used to catching large numbers of fish on bigger rivers and this can result in disappointing experiences on smaller waters.

Posted on: 2010/3/8 17:45

Thanks for the reply. I guess my idea of a good day is the same as yours, and I have found that to be rare on these waters. However, I think if I keep putting my time in, the fish will come. Again, I appreciate your input and tight lines!

Posted on: 2010/3/8 18:21

From Delaware Co.
I'm not new to the smallie game and rarely get over ten a outing on the Brandywine . There is just not enough smallie habitat IMHO, to much sand and not enough rocks and boulders. If you find the rocks you will find the smallies

Posted on: 2010/3/8 21:12

From Chester County
I agree with Fredrick that the B-wines are only "okay" SMB streams. And, as Fishidiot wrote, I too have high expectations that really are rarely met in SE PA.

The best SE PA SMB fisheries are the Schuykill River, which is decent in some spots, and the D River (from Yardley upstream) which is good.

Posted on: 2010/3/9 7:00

Gentlemen, thanks for the intel. I have had some success on the Schyukill, specifically Muhlenberg Park outside of Reading. Appreciate the comments and take 'er easy!

Posted on: 2010/3/9 15:51

From chester county
I agree with what has been said so far. If you have a canoe or kayak, a float trip (stopping at the good pools) would be a good way to improve your numbers since you can cover more water. There are some really nice smallies in both branches, but not really that many. My best was 19" from the east branch and saw one about 22" in the west branch.

Posted on: 2010/3/11 19:48

From Bozeman
19" is a damn impressive fish for those waterways.

Posted on: 2010/3/11 21:37

From chester county
It was gaurding a nest and I caught it by accident fishing for the 14"-ish one that was hanging around the nest. A beaver upstream stirred up a lot of mud and I didn't realize my jig had hit the nest until I saw what I had hooked!

Posted on: 2010/3/11 22:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com