HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Smallmouth Bass Meetings with PFBC
From Chester County
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
If we can't figure out what the main problem with the Susky is why don't we try to protect what we have left...... And why don't we try to fix some of problems that we do know about that are effecting the water quality in the river like raw sewage and farm run off. By the time the PFBC gets done with all their studies we probably won't have nothing left to work with .Five years of studies and what answers do we have ?
Take some sort action besides studies and meetings they already dropped the ball now do something to improve the river until we find the problem it could just be a combination of everything or just one but take some sort of action . I'm sure that some of the conservation organizations on the Susky can have meetings and do the same studies that the PFBC are doing . How many people do they have working full time working on the problem .

Sounds easy!! As with nearly everything in this country, it come down to $$$$. The farmers lobby against stricter regulations on their farms for raising hogs, cattle, fertilizer for crops, etc. because it costs them money/profit.

How many taxpayers are willing to pony up more money (taxes and/or water-sewer bills) to fix and expand the wastewater treatment plants that are pushed past capacity and/or are antiquated.

All this for some fish!?! (I can hear it now) How much clout do you think the PFBC has with the legislature and public to push forward with this?!?

I just wish, that after 5 years of study, the FBC grows stones enough to make some recommendations to at least mitigate the damage. It's up to us to champion the cause after that.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:21

From Lancaster
From my limited sampling (with a fly rod) the catfish are still there. In fact they're everywhere. Every little ledge or eddy that used to hold bass has a catfish sitting in the same feeding lie. I also thought I was the only one who noticed a decline in the sunfish, rockbass pops the same time that the smallies started to decline.... but you are absolutely right. There seemed to be an explosion in forage like crayfish which makes sense with fewer predators around. This makes the fishing for the remaining smallies even tougher - there's less competition for food.

I "understand" the effects the climatic conditions (over the course of a few years) had on successive classes of YOY survival. IMO it was a "perfect storm" of events from several years of drought/flood/drought. I get that, and I think so do most other folks who know and fish the river. We're all in agreement that there is more to this problem than climatic conditions. The question is what?

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:24

From Chester County
Quote:

TimB wrote:
From my limited sampling (with a fly rod) the catfish are still there. In fact they're everywhere. Every little ledge or eddy that used to hold bass has a catfish sitting in the same feeding lie. I also thought I was the only one who noticed a decline in the sunfish, rockbass pops the same time that the smallies started to decline.... but you are absolutely right. There seemed to be an explosion in forage like crayfish which makes sense with fewer predators around. This makes the fishing for the remaining smallies even tougher - there's less competition for food.

I "understand" the effects the climatic conditions (over the course of a few years) had on successive classes of YOY survival. IMO it was a "perfect storm" of events from several years of drought/flood/drought. I get that, and I think so do most other folks who know and fish the river. We're all in agreement that there is more to this problem than climatic conditions. The question is what?

I recall Bob Clouser saying that over a decade ago. Everyone thought things were great since the fishing was great back then, but he saw the handwriting fish on the wall a long time ago.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:29

From Lancaster
Quote:

afishinado wrote:

I recall Bob Clouser saying that over a decade ago. Everyone thought things were great since the fishing was great back then, but he saw the handwriting fish on the wall a long time ago.

Careful, that may be seen as revisionist history

Posted on: 2010/6/15 9:39

From Chester County
What's killing our fish?
*Experts fear a 'perfect storm' of factors*

Tuesday, October 11, 2005
BY BRETT LIEBERMAN
*Of Our Washington Bureau*

Clouser used to be able to take two experienced anglers out for a day on the Susquehanna and expect to catch about 50 fish each. Now they're lucky to catch eight.

"It's a scary decline," he said, adding that he's watched as water snakes, bull frogs and then other species have disappeared. "I don't know what it's all related to, but I assume it's some sort of pollution."

Clouser is sure of one thing: that the Susquehanna's waters have grown heavier and darker than when he started fishing on its banks.

Tim Murphy saw the fish on the wall in 1996!!!

Quote:

Tim Murphy wrote:
Re: Where are the Red Eye Rockbass?

They jumped the train early and left town before all the smallmouth died off.

I'm sort of joking but I do know what you are talking about. I remember years ago fishing the Fabri-Dam in Sunbury as a kid and having no bait. I'd just find a dried up crispy-fried dead minnow and cut the tail off it and put it on a small baitholder hook and, Voila', instant rock bass.

I haven't caught a rock bass out of the river since about 1996, but there is nothing wrong with the river according to the experts.

Regards,
Tim Murphy

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=17239

Posted on: 2010/6/15 10:09

From Bozeman
This is, by far, the biggest conservation worry in the state IMO. To hell with all of the trout streams. This river is dead, and it's an absolute shame. I wish it got the support that a dead trout stream would.

I'm 25, and even I have "back in the day" stories about the glory years on the susq. It was honestly mind boggling. It was world class.

Had to vent about that. Here's hoping the glory years return in my lifetime.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 10:27

As I said in an earlier post, Bob Clouser was telling people that he was seeing changes in the river from deteriorating water quality and that he was very concerned about it at least as far back as 1995. To be specific, September 1, 1995. (I take notes!)

At that time, it is likely that the water quality was deteriorating to the extent that someone with good observational skills and a lot of time spent on the water could notice the changes, but not bad enough, yet, that it caused fish kills from bacterial outbreaks. That came later, as water quality continued to decline, and when the poor water quality conditions coincided with a low, warm spell in summer 2005, that put conditions over the "red line" and the bacterial infections slammed the smallmouth population.
All IMHO.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 14:49

I should point out for clarification purposes only that students of the Susquehanna YOY SMB problem should not continue to cite 2004 as being a year in which year class strength was poor or failed. There were no YOY surveys on the Susquehanna in 2004, at least not the lower Susquehanna, and I don't believe so in the rest of the river either. Somehow, the absence of an index for that year has repeatedly been interpreted as a value of zero for that year. The Schuylkill River provides the only YOY insight as to what may have taken place in 2004 in the lower Susquehanna. It turns out that YOY SMB production in the lower Susquehanna correlates well with that in the Schuylkill. The Schuylkill YOY SMB surveys were done in 2004 and the year class produced was about average. So, the suggestion here is that the lower Susquehanna YOY index in 2004 may have been about average, but we'll never actually know.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 20:05

From Gettysburg
Thanks Mike.
My recollection was that 2003 and 2004 were years with high water levels in the river and, noticing the lack of an entry for 2004 on the PFBC bar graphs for SMB YOY, I assumed that YOY would have been low that year and that the annual survey was skipped due to predictable outcome. As it turns out, the PFBC graph for YOY in the North Branch does contain a graph point for 2004 (maybe this was an estimate rather than an actual survey?) and it indicates an average year in the North Branch:

http://fishandboat.com/images/fisheries/afm/2009/4x11_05nbr.htm

It seems to me that there is pretty good correlation between YOY index in the North Branch with the lower main stem. If so, this would, obviously, bear out your suggestion of an average year relative to the Skuke YOY.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 22:41

From York County
Just had my 7 weight out on the river tonight. Wet waded back to shore dangerously from my favorite rock ledge at about 9:15 p.m.

I used to spinfish this same spot 8-9 years ago and there would be maybe 10 other guys fishing within sight of me. I would just hammer them on a berkeley purple power pulse worm, carolina rigged. Tonight it was just two other cars, and everone is after the huge catties out there.

I'd catch 15 maybe 20 nice big smallies, a walleye or two, and about a dozen redeyes, throw in a sunny or two.

I saw very little surface activity tonight and caught only one small sunny on my 7 weight.

I have had my 7 weight for a year and a half now and have yet to catch a smallmouth on it from the river. I've onlt used it a few times but still come on.

I had a job back then with a one hour lunch break. It was just enough time for me to drive 15 minutes to my favorite spot fish for about 20 minutes catch one or two bass and go back to work.

I couldn't dream of that now.

Posted on: 2010/6/15 23:54

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com