Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Smallie Chasers.

From pittsburgh
i have a 4 wt a 6 wt with a sinking tip line an old 7 wt that i have a 5 wt line on its actually a really old line ive had it for 15 years an an 8 weight thats i think 9 foot that was meant for steelhead but i never went i guess imma hafta buy a sinktip for it

Posted on: 2009/4/9 19:56

-me

Smallies on the fly on my favorite kind of fishing. Rod-wise, I like to use a 6 for larger streams and ponds, but there are a lot of waters up here in Maine where the smallies are so numerous they are stunted. Those waters are perfect for a 3 or 4 weight. That's also why I like the foam poppers like small gartside gurglers (size 8-10) and Lefty's Bugs. They're easier to cast on light lines. Not gonna hit any major distances, but for the stunted, hungry bass, I'd swear they'd try to eat me if I fell in anyway, so distance isn't really a factor here. Still, can't wait to get down there this Summer for the PA smallies and start fishing for largemouth too.

Posted on: 2009/4/10 9:33

From Naples, Florida
I used to do it alot back in California. Really a blast, as the stream Smallies are super aggressive and fight like crazy in that current. I found most days all I needed was a small chart/white Clouser fished on a 5 weight rod and a little sinktip line....tons of fun!

Paul W

Posted on: 2009/4/12 23:55

I like a 9' 6wt. for river smallies.
I fish the lehigh and the schuylkill most.
Buggersin olive and brown,
clausers also do the job.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 3:28

From Gettysburg
Paul,
Welcome to the site. We've got a couple frequent posters who live in FL. While I honestly think FL is the best state in the nation for fishing - if I moved there I'd sure miss smallies and trout. On second thought, maybe I'd be too distracted by the tarpon, bones, jacks, permit, largemouth bass, snook, reds, pomps, snappers, specs, dolphin, sails, macks, grouper, bream, sharks, cudas, tripletail.....Gosh my head's startin to spin.

Ya gotta love FL. If you plan on fishing up here in PA look some of us up.
BTW: Nice photos on your site, esp that red in your avatar.

Posted on: 2009/4/13 8:26

From SW PA
Here's a link to a thread in the Fly Tying forum on Smallie flies;Bass Flies

JH

Posted on: 2009/4/14 15:31

I'm here. I'm a smallie flyfisherman. I'm so into smallies on the fly that I see trout season as an interlude between steelhead and smallmouth.

I have not given up the spinning gear. Far from it. When the river gets ideal, I go to the flyrod. Until that time, I use spinning gear. When I float fish, I use spinning gear.

Where are you located? If you are in the Southern or Southeastern part of PA, you'll have lots of help and company. Up here in the Great North West, I'm one of only a very, very few fly anglers to ply the waters of the Allegheny, French Creek and Oil Creek.

If you're anything like me, you'll like tying bass flies more than trout flies.

Enjoy.
Syl

Posted on: 2009/4/21 17:03

From Ellwood City
Hi everyone I'm new to this forum. I have been fishing for Smallies my whole life. At the end of last year I decided to give in into the urge to give flyfishing a try. I bought myself a St. Croix 9 ft. 6wt outfit. I have never fly fished before and I dont know anybody else that fly fishes. I know where the smallies are so locating them isn't a problem. I dont have any problems catching them with my spinning gear. I have yet to land my first smallie with the long rod. I must admit I havent used it as much as I should and the main reason is out of frustration of not knowing if I am presenting the fly properly. I am located in SW PA and any tips or pointers you guys could give me would be much appreciated!

Posted on: 2009/4/23 2:05

His Cunning and his speed.

He has no equal anywhere.

The best of all the breed

From Gettysburg
Fishin4,
Welcome to the forum. If you love smallies (which is obvious) I would suggest that you continue to fish for 'em in whatever manner you enjoy. Exploring FFing will add a fascinating new dimension to your passion, esp if you take up fly tying (I have developed a whole new appreciation for crayfish, madtoms, white flies, and hellgramites). In the meantime, continue to take your spinning gear with you. Eventually, when you hit it right, break out the fly rod and you will get bit. Practice casting the fly rod on the lawn at home. The biggest problem new FFers have is accurate and effective casting. Don't fall in to the trap of thinking, "Now I'm a FFer, so anything I catch on spin gear, doesn't count." This is nonsense. Continue to post here, esp if you have specific questions. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 7:56

From Chester County
F4SM,

Think of it this way, your already halfway there since you know how to locate and fish for SMs. As FI said, finding the right conditions will make a big difference. FF shines in lower flows and more ideal (for the fish) water temps. When fish are holding deep and sluggish like in extremely cold or extremely warm water, spinning is a better and easier way to catch fish. When the fish are active and chasing you will find it hard to keep the fish off your wooly bugger or popper on top. A WB can’t be fished wrong – dead drift, swinging in the current, or stripped. Try all methods just to find out what the fish want that day. If they are really active and are chasing and looking up, fishing a popper or slider on the surface is some of the most fun you will ever have FF. I’m getting excited just thinking about it. Hang in there, practice casting as FI said, and the time will come…maybe sooner than we think with the 80+ degree days in the forecast. Good luck.

Posted on: 2009/4/23 8:23

From erie,pa
Well the steelheads are mostly gone and the smallmouth are coming up the creeks, by may there should be alot in the creeks and if you try any flies that matches mudbugs you should have a ball. I saw some nice size smallies in elk creek today

Posted on: 2009/4/24 22:11

From Johnstown, PA
From Clarks Ferry bridge down to TMI probably some of the best in the world, some of the best fishermen too.

Posted on: 2009/4/26 20:05

From Pittsburgh
i enjoy getting into the pittsburgh metropolitan area with my 8wt tearin bass a new one and nobody is ever around.....we get strange looks walking into creeks with fly rods where most people would never dare to go!

Posted on: 2009/5/4 14:17

Quote:

thebassman wrote:
I was wondering how many of you guys chase smallies on the fly. This is something that I am getting into like crazy. I am trying to step away from the spinning gear and go to flies only. I am also trying to tie some of my own up. I visit riversmallies.com alot, but found this site while trying to get info on fly fishing here in PA.

Love to fish for smallmouth on a fly rod. Smallmouth and rockbass are a hoot on a fly rod.

My Brother got me hooked. Him and his friend hit the river all of the time. The smallies are hitting really strong in the Susquehanna river in NEPA. They also are catching walleye and even a channel cat. Guess there hitting on huge 6" flies they are tying. They promised to take me out soon. Can't wait!

Posted on: 2009/5/4 20:32

From Suburban Pittsburgh
Smallies on a fly rod is the next best thing to Trout or Steelies that's readily available in this part of PA.

Posted on: 2009/5/17 15:37

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com