Small farm ponds and poppers

dc410

dc410

Stopped for a short time on the way home from work this afternoon on one of my favorite small ponds for Largemouth and 'gill action. I decided to go totally with a popper today, which is generally not my normal approach. I only fished for about an hour, but got into a number of bass and bluegills that were smashing the popper. I was using a popper that Sniperfreak223 tied earlier in the year in a WW fly swap that he hosted. I had a blast landing those slab 'gills and hauling those bucketmouths out of the dense weeds. I didn't get into any real big bass but it wasn't because they weren't there. I saw a few fish that were pushing 20 inches. Don't overlook those small farm or woodlot ponds in your travels. Stop and ask permission to fish them because they can be a great way to get into some nice fish in a short amount of time. Some of those little ponds harbour some real hogs!

Attachments

• Bluegill.jpg
    Bluegill.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Largemouth 1.jpg
    Largemouth 1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Largemouth 2.jpg
    Largemouth 2.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 5
Excellent post....and a good reminder: there are some good WW fishing opportunities in "trout" streams that have gone warm as well as a lot of local farm ponds. Many of these ponds really don't see much fishing pressure and often have a lot of eager bass and bluegills.

i love them blue gills, feisty little beggars

Back