Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Small Poppers - I'm Done With Them

From Granville
Quote:

fly_flinger wrote:
Quote:

jifigz wrote:

That's why I fish for smallies in the colder months. Winter time is big fish time!

Not having done much cold weather smallie fishing, I have a few questions.
1. Do you use smaller flies than summer
2. Do you use flashier or less flashy than summer
3. Dead drift or impart some action

My winter WW species fishing has primarily been for muskies but it's nice to at least catch something from time to time so it would be good to know a few smallie tricks to help with the catching part.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I would use any of the same patterns I would use in summer except for surface stuff, of course. But I generally go fairly small and natural color. Dead drift or impart minor action but definitely get it close to the bottom.

It does depend on the time of year, however. In November the smallmouths are often still quite active and fishing can be fast and furious with less need to get a slowly worked fly on the bottom. From December through early March, however, it pays to get it slow and deep.

The hardest part is finding the fish. They are found in the same places year after year though. It is my firm belief that some stretches of waters will be totally void of fish as they may travel some miles to wintering sites. I would say in most systems this isn't the case and a rather short move is more typical. Either way, knowing your water well and finding the fish is 90% of the battle.

Posted on: 10/1 7:23

Re: Small Poppers - I'm Done With Them

From Luzerne County, PA
I've been using mostly size 4-6 poppers all summer, one thing I noticed is the mood of the fish will sometimes dictate whether they inhale the popper or not.

I had a fairly epic day last Wednesday, the previous day with the bright sunlight I tied on a size 6 yellow popper and the smallies were taking it readily but mostly only on a dead drift. The following day I had broken my popper backcasting onto the shore rocks so I tied on a size 4 green popper. Started drifting it with a few takes then decided to try and pop the hell out of it and to my surprise it was exactly what the bass wanted. The hits came hard and fast and I must've gotten 20+ fishing it that way. I did notice many of the fish were hooked inside the mouth, none that were what I would call "deep hooked" and none that I couldn't extract the hook with minimum effort but I feel that the aggressive strikes were the reason.

Posted on: 10/2 20:04

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com