Shenango Crappie

D

DRFAS

Heading to Shenango Reservoir sometime this weekend for some Crappie action.. Will be flyfishing from a canoe and if anyone here has any advice for "slab" success I would appreciate it..

FAS

I've never fished Shenango so can't recommend specific info to that lake. However, if it were me, I'd stick to small streamer flies fished slowly under a strike indicator along shoreline brush. I'd think that prime time for crappies may be past at this point but you never know. I fish crappies earlier in the spring. However, if the crappies have moved to deep water there should still be plenty of sunnies close to shore. Good luck with your trip - post a report if you care to. We could use some more warm water lake fishing reports IMO.

I have no experience fishing the lake, but have caught crappie in the river in Sharpsville and up in Jamestown. A slab here and there, but for the most part they're small. Always had luck with white conehead buggers.

FI is correct about the crappies, but I caught 50 today!
Evening, usually 7PM until 9PM, the crappies and white perch swim on the top. A fly rod in a canoe with small streamers would work great.
Now the crappie spawn is almost over and the fish seem to be in 20' of water...... in lakes. Same thing with the perch.
I hate to say it, but I had to switch to a UL spin to keep catchin'
I use 2 lb NanoFil (.002 diameter) and super small 1" soft plastics on a 1/64 oz jig head.
I still love my fly rod, but in deep water, in a canoe, you just have to "threadline" to catch a lot of fish!

I use a franke shiner in size 10 for crappies, they love it..use a sink tip to get down or lead core. I troll with the toon for them in lakes..

im ashamed to say i havent caught a crappie...

Back