Shark on the fly

IneFishent

IneFishent

Was fortunate to get out on a half day trip while in Key West last week. My special request upon booking was to go after a shark with a fly rod. After catching some mangrove snapper to take back for lunch, we went off to find some big toothies. The guide knew just the spot and we had 7 or so circling in minutes. I hooked and landed this 7 foot lemon shark on a 10wt fly rod. He put me well into the backing during the fight. After a short break, I tackled his much larger brother on a regular rod and broke him off quick release style at the boat side after a 20 min battle.

IMG_105733169813754_zpsb95ceab5.jpeg

IMG_105726741378548_zps2e8e235c.jpeg

shark on the fly is great, miss it !
nice going !

Damn...I'm usually impressed w the odd 12"-16" brown trout, but that's an Awesome catch!!!! Well done!!!

Attachments

• fish.jpg
    fish.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 0
Graet catch, congrats.

GenCon

Holy cow. Nice one FD. What did that thing weigh, 700#?

Did you get your fly back.

That's cool!

Farmer Dave... I'm throwing it out!!!

bullshit_flag.jpg

;-)

Watching a shark take a fly is d@mn exciting!!! Nice job on the catch and good decision on chasing the ultimate "toothy" critter!

"Y'all know me. Know how I earn a livin'. I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish. Not like going down the pond chasin' bluegills and tommycods. "

I also watched a couple charters clean fish at the docks near Mallory square. They would throw the extra pieces in the water to feed the fish. The size of some of the resident tarpon was awesome, I would guess easily over 100 pounds. Now I'm gonna have to make another trip down when they are in season to catch one. I have never had anything strip line off a fly reel like the shark. It's getting tougher for me to beat my previous personal biggest haha.

The real question is while or stocked?

That is a 6 ft 4 wt I am holding and hooked it on an Adams parachute. Well, I think that was the guys name. I fought that hammerhead for 4 days before I finally landed him. He even took me into the backing twice.

That picture never gets old.;-)

I did see a full grown killer whale take a sparrow off the surface once. True story.

Sea World in Aurora before it closed. A fledgeling fell in from the wall art above his temporary holding tank. I noticed it while everyone else was paying attention to the show in the center tank. Little fledgeling was splashing around along the side trying to get out. Shamoo or whatever his name was sipped it like a trout taking a mayfly.

I came back after dark and with a squirrel nymph and no luck. Since that day, I've always preferred dries.;-)

Fledgling sparrow? Nothing a glob of marabou and some treble hooks couldn't imitate. You wouldn't even need backing unless it pulled a "Free Willy" and jumped out of the tank.

Justin, that is awesome man congratulations. Must have been one heck of a ride! Those little trout just won't be the same. :cool:

Thanks Jack! It was a blast. Haven't made it out for trout since fishing with you. I did tie up some tungsten bh nymphs after being inspired by your creations though.

Very good, I hope they fish well for you. They'll get you where you wanna be...

Back