Shad on the Delaware River

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The Delaware has been running high and cold in the last few weeks making the shad fishing a little late this season. The River is down to a good level for boat fishing and wading/bank fishing in certain areas is now possible.

Here is a link to the up-to-date reports to follow on D-River shad fishing:

http://www.drsfa.org/fishing-log

Post a report if you get out.

Good luck.

I get e-mails from Lewis Fishery in Lambertville, NJ and yesterday was the first day they could get their nets in the water. They picked up 19 shad.

Went out of lambertville on the 12th and got 15. Water was high and debri filled.

Went out on the 13th and got 2. The water lowered enough to be manageable.

Went out on the 14th and boated 38 and lost another 10. Double, triples and some line crossing messes. Water cleaned up and exceptionally fishable.

Shad are in great numbers from lambertville to Easton right now and the river flow is perfect. It's time to get out while you can.

Been out twice on the fly wading in Easton. Finally hooked omebut didn't land it. Shad newbie so still learning. Thinking of fishing first light tomorrow.

poopdeck wrote:
Went out of lambertville on the 12th and got 15. Water was high and debri filled.

Went out on the 13th and got 2. The water lowered enough to be manageable.

Went out on the 14th and boated 38 and lost another 10. Double, triples and some line crossing messes. Water cleaned up and exceptionally fishable.

Shad are in great numbers from lambertville to Easton right now and the river flow is perfect. It's time to get out while you can.

^"That's what I'm talkin' about!".....Nice!

Thanks for the report.

Although I don't fish for them, I saw a report that the shad have made it as far upriver as Lackawaxen. I also saw a report of a fellow below Conowingo who was into some pretty big ones, including one about 6.5 lbs.

I fished below Conowingo on Monday..25 on 4 hours of fishing..some on the fly rod
May fish Deer Creek for them tommorow

The big roe have been in the river between lambertville and Easton all week. They are hammering flutter spoons in every color but spoons with green have had the clear advantage. Brass, silver, hammered finish, smooth finish, it don't matter as long as the soldered hook side is half green. The arrival of the big roe mark the tail end of the run so it be time to start chasing the big roe north above Easton. As for me, I'm switching to the stripers in the upper tidal area.

lots of shad in Lackawaxen this weekend...Zane Grey ramp full of wading anglers both days pulling in fish left & right. Great numbers and alot of big fish.

I have fished Sunday 5/14 through Wednesday 5/16 and fishing was off the hook. Seems like a good afternoon/evening bite. Water has started at 45 to 50F, but warms quickly and the fish get active.

Great numbers and size of fish. Never seen so many big, well conditioned roe as this year.

Get out soon before the hot weather closes this off for the year. If you want to catch shad now is the time!!

Back