Sandy Hook Salt Jam 11/13/11

Fredrick

Fredrick

Well I have off the 13th-19th of November and figured I would have a salt jam for the 13th since I will be down the hook almost everyday that week , Equipment to bring would be a 9 wt rod sinking line preferred sandy hook is a deep beach with a extremely strong rip current so you need to be able to get your fly down fast . Waders bootfoot preferred sand getting in your boots with stocking foots is a PITA. Also a stripping basket with a good waterproof wading jacket is a definite plus . For leaders I would recomend 15-20lb tippet floro preferred as lenth depends what line your throwing .

Flies you would need to bring I will leave that up to sandfy

http://www.sandy-hook.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=sandy+hook+nj&hl=en&t=m&vpsrc=0&z=13&iwloc=A

RodEbay015.jpg

RodEbay001.jpg

33c4f035.jpg

SandyHook005.jpg

SandyHook006.jpg
RodEbay011-1.jpg

that's a sunday, people.

if i'm not oncall, i'm in.

(maybe not fishing, but i'm not passing this up)

Keep in mind, this is the same date as the steelhead jam.

While I suspect a salt jam would appeal mainly to the east side crew....there have been some folks from mid state and west side who have expressed an interest in attending such an event.

ugh. i would love to attend a salt jam...but the same date as the steel jam? Not fair!!!!!

Its a easy decision for me drive two hours to fish real flies for real fish or drive 6 plus hours to fish junk flies for fake fish . Not to mention the circus and the colder temps. I will be there almost all week so if anyone wants to fish during that week let me know.

trowpa wrote:
ugh. i would love to attend a salt jam...but the same date as the steel jam? Not fair!!!!!
+1

Sorry guys but my schedule is crazy for the next 3 months I can't commit to any dates but these ones .

RodEbay008.jpg

SandyHook003.jpg

SandyHook001.jpg
RodEbay005-1.jpg

i'm going to try to make this. It's much closer for me than the steelhead jam and there shouldn't be shoulder to shoulder crowds.

I'm interested. Can't commit, but interested.

In all honesty - while i'm disappointed it is the same weekend, i might (MIGHT) be tempted if i had a 9 weight.

Anyone have one to lend for the event? Decisions decisions...

Fredrick wrote:
real flies for real fish or ... junk flies for fake fish

:pint:

I wish this wasn't the same weekend. Oh well. Have fun guys.

I'll be in Ohio, hopefully with a P&Y lined up in my bow sights. Getting into saltwater fly fishing is one less hobby I need at this point. Have fun.

trowpa wrote:
In all honesty - while i'm disappointed it is the same weekend, i might (MIGHT) be tempted if i had a 9 weight.

Anyone have one to lend for the event? Decisions decisions...

I have one you could use but I only have a floating line but I think my 8wt full sink would be perfect

here are some flies http://www.jackgartside.com/flies_salt_list.php

http://www.aswf.info/multimedia/flytying.html

Decievers half & halfs and clousers are a must

Would I be undergunned with 8 weight rods?

McSneek wrote:
Would I be undergunned with 8 weight rods?

If the wind was howling yes but I find a full sink line cuts threw the wind very well but your casting skills have a lot to do with it in the wind a good double haul is hard to beat most of the fish are right at the breakers so you don't have to cast to far for the most part .

this is good news as my biggest rod is an 8wt...beginning to lean towards this jam in favor of erie.

All BS aside, some of us wouldn't even remotely consider an 8 hour drive. The idea of having a 1.5-2 hour drive is acceptable and a way to do something.

gfen wrote:
All BS aside, some of us wouldn't even remotely consider an 8 hour drive. The idea of having a 1.5-2 hour drive is acceptable and a way to do something.

+1. As a veteran of 5 or so trips to erie, I can safely say that it's insane to go there from eastern PA. There's better steelheading at about 2 hours closer in NY.

I've thought about going to the steelhead jams because I enjoy seeing everyone so much, but if I go that far, I may as well go to michigan.

Fast fact: When in erie, you'll be closer to chicago than your home in philly.

If you're up for going, you won't regret attending the erie jam. I've genuinely enjoyed sharing the streams with my friends out that way. That said, the quality of the fishing in erie isn't enough to draw me again.

^good to know jay, thanks.

still being pretty new to the site, meeting a few members was honestly my biggest reason for working out the trip to erie. this makes more sense in pretty much every aspect.

Back