SE PA lakes

F

FlyGuyGlen

I don't have access to a boat, but would like to give some still water fishing a go. (I wanna be a well rounded FFer! :))

If I'm only able to fish from piers/shore, would you folks recommend Galena or Nock? I've read that Galena isn't what is used to be, but there is still some good fishing.

Take a visit (or Google earth) to some of the lakes that are surrounded by state parks or have state land around them. Look for open areas where you can fly cast and possible areas to wade. These places are limited due to forested shoreline and/or soft bottom.

The best advice I can give to a newbie FFer who wants to fish lakes from shore is to do it in springtime - basically about mid March (maybe a bit earlier this year) to late May. You will find far more fish willing to bite in spring than other seasons when fish are in deeper water.

I've fished Nock from over the years from the shore. Picked up sunfish, crappie, bass and the occasional pickerel. You just have to drive around the lake and check out spots where you can access the lake or one of the coves. Marsh Creek has some shore access. If you can find the spillways below the dams and access them, they can be good places to fish. Concur with Dave_W that on the times to fish from shore.

Kayaks are cheap!!
really worth it and you don't have to have the fancy "fisherman's" model to have a great time.

JerryC wrote:
I've fished Nock from over the years from the shore. Picked up sunfish, crappie, bass and the occasional pickerel. You just have to drive around the lake and check out spots where you can access the lake or one of the coves. Marsh Creek has some shore access. If you can find the spillways below the dams and access them, they can be good places to fish. Concur with Dave_W that on the times to fish from shore.

So basically now. :lol:

I've spent a bit of time on the trails around nock, but never fished it. May need to give it a go in the coming weeks.

Ace - with my luck, I'd flip the kayak on the cast. Haha. But definitely willing to give it a go!

The lake's coves were partially frozen again today, so the progression of winter to spring fishing patterns will begin all over again as water temps gradually rise and winds push the warmest surface waters into leeward coves on certain days. Likewise, even without great habitat, shallow, muddy coves will warm first in their shallowest ends. You may be surprised by the fish that you might get find there seeking warm temps and the abundance of bait fish attracted to those warm spots. A cold night will chase all fish from those shallow coves, however, so it is critical that anglers drop everything and hit the water on those few days when this pattern develops. Once the main lake temps are similar to the cove temps it's all over. The pattern described develops on lakes for as little as a few days or intermittently over a two to three week period. Responding to the pattern at various times in assorted lakes are largemouth bass, smallmouth bass, striped bass hybrids, large channel catfish, carp and crappies. This is one of those patterns in which timing is a skill.

Perkasie looks to be closest to the Nock, so I'd walk the shorelines.
You are not that far from the big D river and there are Small Mouth there to fish for. I think the East Branch of Perk Creek has Smallies too. Lastly, you are less than an hour from the Poconos. Lots of lakes there to fish from shore.

Thanks Mike and Schiff!

I might take a stroll around the shoreline this weekend, if the weather plays nice that is! May even dip some line if I get a chance.

FGG...I've flipped a canoe twice but never came close to flipping my Emotion Glide.

I like Galena for shorebound crappie fishing. Plenty of shoreline to fish on the creek road side. I park in the lot at the very end of creek road. Easy access to the lake from there. You can go left all the way to the dam. If you go right you can fish about 500 yards until you get to some conservation area where fishing is prohibited all the way to the bridge and beyond.

Bring a pair of waders as it's a gently sloping bottom on this side and it helps to get a little out from the bank in some spots. But plenty of areas where there is enough room to cast as long as you like and keep your feet dry.

I was there last week hoping the crappie came up during the brief warm spell but they didn't. As the weather begins to consistently warm the crappies will come up in mass and are a lot of fun to catch.

I prefer a boat for the nock.

I need to spend some time at Galena. My wife works at the school right next to the park, but I've never actually been to the water. Guess I'll need to make time this year.

used to fish the south side near the dam at night for walleyes with the fly, was loaded with them in 2004

Caught my first musky at the nock in 1974 or 5 when they first stocked it. playing with a 5'2" 5wt Fenwick for bass and musky hit. 36 in. went back all that summer with a bigger rod and flies. some days caught 5 or 6 , still use the fly today for them

lake towhee, lake warren are good for shore fishing.

Nock seems like it's a Great Lake for a gambit of species. Just waiting for the weather to play nice! :lol:

The upper ends of the Nockamixon coves are frozen again....4th time this winter.

Mike wrote:
The upper ends of the Nockamixon coves are frozen again....4th time this winter.

Mother Nature is seriously confused.....and killin' me. I just want to get out an fish! :lol:

Not this weekend, since I'm on kid duty while the wife gets her classroom back in order before starting back on Monday. Maybe next weekend if Mother Nature doesn't continue her complete lunacy.

Back