HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: SE PA SMB

From King Of Prussia, Pa
Quote:

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I think it's water quality. Flatheads can thrive in awful water that would kill smallies. We have flatheads, we are losing smallies, and I don't think anyone believes the rivers are in better shape than they were 10 years ago.

I see this claim a lot re: water quality. There must be data out there that proves it, yet i've never seen it. Where is everyone getting the idea that water quality is worse now than 10yrs ago?

Posted on: 2013/6/12 14:24

From King Of Prussia, Pa
And just to clarify, I'm talking specifically SE PA. The skuke, delaware, perk, etc. Obv susky is fubar'd.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 14:26

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Quote:
3-4 years ago, the SMB fishing on the D from Easton to New Hope was very good. Over the past few years, I have seen less SMB and more trout and stripers.

theres your answer on the delaware, stripers. they are the native to the river and are just taking back what was theirs in the past. A 20+ in. striper will eat smb along with all the other fish in the river. They are the dominent predator.

Posted on: 2013/6/12 17:38

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Flourtown, PA
Stripers don't eat smallies, really. No when you have the kind of baitfish base that the Delaware has. They aren't going to expend the kind of energy it takes to catch a bass when they have schools of other baitfish to eat. And when they open their mouths they are able to capture many, not just one. They will eat the hell out of some trout though, but I don't think that is an issue down here. The striper population hasn't grown in the Delaware enough to explain the smallie issue, anyway.

Posted on: 2013/6/13 11:42

From Upper Bucks
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
theres your answer on the delaware, stripers. they are the native to the river and are just taking back what was theirs in the past. A 20+ in. striper will eat smb along with all the other fish in the river. They are the dominent predator.

I'm with you on the natives taking back what was theirs but I don't think eating them is the reason for the decline. I've snorkeled just outside a small trib that dumps cold water into the river. I witnessed 30"+ stripers eating anything that came into their path including smb and RT.
Not sure about water quality either as I've caught many trout including ST well below "trout waters".

Posted on: 2013/6/14 12:00

From barto PA
We usually do pretty good with the SMB any time we float the perky. We don't generally kayak it below spring mountain though so take that for whatever it's worth. I've heard the unami holds pretty good populations around the green lane area as well. Higher upstream it's a little more suited for trout than smallies though, but then I've never fished it above say finland road or so.

About to start targeting them again once I get a more sizeable rod this summer. Throwin poppers with the 6'6" eagle claw is a bit of a pain, maybe I'm just doing something wrong that I'm not aware of.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 14:17

From Delaware Co.
Smallies in SE PA is a urban myth

Posted on: 2013/6/14 15:53

From barto PA
I'll be down that way today, maybe I'll take the flyrod out behind my buddy's and see what's bitin. You could throw a rock off 29 where it goes over the perky and hit us. We get a lot more rock bass up there than smallies usually but it's always a little mix of both.

Posted on: 2013/6/14 16:05

Stripers have nothing to do with it on the Delaware. Annual young of year monitoring clearly shows that some exceptionally good year classes were immediately followed by some average to poor ones...all related to weather conditions and resulting flows during and after spawning. You are fishing over the results of avg to poor year classes at the moment. Better fishing will return. Anglers need to get away from blaming so much on water quality and predators. Fish populations vary naturally...there doesn't have to be something wrong for these variations to negatively affect fishing for a few seasons.

Posted on: 2013/6/15 13:31

From Flourtown, PA
I had a couple really good topwater days for little hammer handles last summer. Afish was with me one day. There are fish, but they're little. I'm going to be doing some driving to get to them this summer-Upper D and VA. I can't take any more summers without some big smallies.

Posted on: 2013/6/16 9:28

From Chester County
Quote:

Mike wrote:
Stripers have nothing to do with it on the Delaware. Annual young of year monitoring clearly shows that some exceptionally good year classes were immediately followed by some average to poor ones...all related to weather conditions and resulting flows during and after spawning. You are fishing over the results of avg to poor year classes at the moment. Better fishing will return. Anglers need to get away from blaming so much on water quality and predators. Fish populations vary naturally...there doesn't have to be something wrong for these variations to negatively affect fishing for a few seasons.

All true above for the Delaware River. In fact, we should consider us lucky to have such a quality River with a diverse amount of fishing opportunities right in our back yard.

Not true for the Schuylkill River, IMO. Poor habitat/siltation and water quality issues have really made the lower part of the River less than even marginal. There are a few places where you may find some smallies, but they are becoming fewer and farther between.

Posted on: 2013/6/17 6:36

From Philadelphia
A few years back the smallie population on the Delaware from Fenchtown to Stockton was excellent. Last couple of years, while I do ok, it isn't nearly as productive. Still, it's a lovely stretch of water, and since I fish toward the bank, the tubers can be a pleasant distraction.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/7/2 17:17

SMB over 12" and SMB over 15" are on a high right now in the Delaware from Easton to Yardley as compared to the 11 yr averages between 1989 and 1999, inclusive. I chose that 11 yr period because that is the period for which the data were most readily available. It is the number of SMB less than 12" that are down to about half of the avg for those yrs. Reason: avg to poor yr classes in recent yrs related to weather conditions during and after spawning. It has nothing to do with predators!!!!!

Posted on: 2013/7/2 19:42

From Philadelphia PA
I have had marignal luck this year with SMBs on Nashiminy as well as PennyPack creek. Even the numbers have dropped this year. I caught one two pounder at Penny with a top water popper real close to the shoreline. And had one decent one on at Nashiminy just up from the Mills road bridge, but lost it. White or chartruce worked good. I think I may step over to the del and have a go at it.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 12:06
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From Upper Bucks
I have my theories on the increased catch of trout and stripers from Easton to New Hope but would like to hear Mike's take on it.

Posted on: 2013/7/3 14:10

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com