Presque Isle smallies

T

thesmayway

I'll be in Erie for work the first week of June. I know there can be good flats fishing depending on where we are in the season. So never fishing the lake I'm wondering if anyone can answer some questions. Will the SMB be shallow enough to fish in the wadeable areas? Does anyone know if this is an accurate temperature reading for the bay?

https://seatemperature.info/presque-isle-bay-water-temperature.html

The little I know would suggest the bass should be there and pre spawn...? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll likely have a couple hours either in the morning or early evening. Thanks!

That water temp seems low, but probably not by that much. Like most everywhere else, Spring is 10-14 days behind up here. That said, the bass are in the Bay and have been for a couple weeks though. In a normal year, this would be pretty close to the end of it. But this isn't a normal year and we're probably right in the middle of it.

I don't think the fish are still in pre spawn mode, despite the late warm up.

You should be able to catch the smallmouth wading just about anywhere in the usual wadable areas. Misery Bay, the Marina, and the flats west of the Park office/admin building. Etc.

From what I read on other forums is that they are in the bay and in the creeks. They are below the dam I'm fishing in good numbers so they should be there and easy to get to.

Our high school's National Honor Society had a field trip to Presque Isle on Tuesday. 21 boats off beach 11, mostly along the southern shore of that arm of the peninsula. One kid caught 2 SMB fishing an olive tube jig and some kids had reported hits on rubber jerks.

syl

Just fished this last week. Water is still very high in the bay so what is normally very wadable you'd need a snorkle to fish. Fishing was OK, but far from good.

Back