Pike & Musky Fishing in Eastern PA

• Thread starter bradtheflyfisherman
  • Start date
bradtheflyfisherman

bradtheflyfisherman

Hi all -

Curious here...I am originally from Western PA and know plenty of good pike and musky lakes/rivers that I, unfortunately, did not fish enough of when I used to live a little North of Pittsburgh! However, I am now in the Philadelphia suburbs and was interested in learning a bit more about potential pike and musky water in Eastern PA. I imagine there are probably some isolated Pocono lakes that have healthy populations of pike, and that local rivers likely have decent populations of musky. I do have a kayak that I can use to skirt around lakes and would prefer to wade any rivers/streams. I have an 8wt that I have been dying to use for the past two years...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There isn't much viable pike fishing in eastern PA. I'd forget about 'em...especially if you're looking to target them with fly gear. The Poconos are much better for pickerel.

The good news is that eastern PA (and even New Jersey) has really come together for muskies in the last generation or so. Most of the lakes and almost all the large creeks and rivers have muskies - both tigers and purebreds. They're all over eastern PA and the fisheries are improving. It's not in the same league as your old stomping grounds in western PA, but it's pretty good.

There is a wealth of information about muskies on this forum. Take some time to scroll through some of the old threads to identify places to fish. Many of them have links from Mike and other folks to PFBC data and studies. The PFBC website identifies waters stocked with muskies and tiger muskies by county. Spend some time on that site (Search for Warmwater Stocking in previous years)

Good luck with your new pursuit of muskies.

NOTE: This thread will be moved to the Warmwater forum shortly - thanks, DW

Thanks Dave! I'll probe around for other threads on Muskie.

bradtheflyfisherman wrote:
Hi all -

Curious here...I am originally from Western PA and know plenty of good pike and musky lakes/rivers that I, unfortunately, did not fish enough of when I used to live a little North of Pittsburgh! However, I am now in the Philadelphia suburbs and was interested in learning a bit more about potential pike and musky water in Eastern PA. I imagine there are probably some isolated Pocono lakes that have healthy populations of pike, and that local rivers likely have decent populations of musky. I do have a kayak that I can use to skirt around lakes and would prefer to wade any rivers/streams. I have an 8wt that I have been dying to use for the past two years...

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Always willing to help a displaced yinzer. The Schuylkill River in your back yard has some musky, but your best chance for hooking up with a musky is to launch your kayak at Lake Nockamixon or Marsh Creek Reservoir locally. And with a little drive, Leaser Lake and the Susquehanna River are also great places to fish.

Also, as DaveW wrote above, search past threads and posts on here for some really good info on FFing for muskie.

I USED TO OCCASIONALLY CATCH (BRIEFLY HOOK AND LOSE) MUSKY WHILE FISHING MAIDEN CREEK BELOW ONTELAUNEE DAM. IT FLOWS INTO THE Schuylkill River SO IT'S AN EASY 2 FOR ONE. SMALLIES TOO.

Up until a few years ago the Schuylkill was stocked w/ Tiger Muskies at West Conshohocken by the fireman's access ramp near the Marriott. The point is that we heard of some catches in that general stretch and there should still be some tigers around. Even more recently the Schuylkill was being stocked in the pool created by Noriristown Dam. Fish have shown up down from the dam at times. There should be legals and sub-legals around.

Beltzville lake in the Lehighton area used to have Musky,but I have n't been there in quite some time.

Mike -

I usually launch my kayak there and fish upstream...have done well for smallmouth but next time I'll bring my 8 wt for muskie!

Also have fished Beltzville Lake, not for muskie though. Went once this past summer, and it was so crowded I don't think I'll ever go back again.

I plan on fishing Lake Nockamixon and Marsh Creek Reservoir for muskie this summer.

Thanks for the help guys.

@Brad, if you left Beltzville due to the crowd, you will run fast from Marsh Creek. once the weather warms up, this lake becomes a zoo for recreational kayaks, sailboats, SUP, it's insane. I might have to check out this Conshy access now too.

Survey work shows that Beltsville is poor for Muskie, but good for fairly nice pickerel.

Honestly I shouldn't complain about Beltzville...I went far enough up the channel where Pohopoco creek comes in that there weren't that many people around. Just was a hassle getting my kayaks off my car at one of the launch sites and had to deal with some certain people that were jerks and that left a sour taste in my mouth about the whole trip.

Conshy access is right under the bridge...super easy to get to...caught a smallmouth casting from shore at one of the bridge supports. Can be tough to get upstream because of the current, but if you can get to the small little island right in the middle of the river, it's a good spot.

Back