HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Pennsylvania State Record Muskellunge - 1924
From Gettysburg
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
.The shad netters claim a 72" caught and released down in the new hope area.

Really? If you have a good story link or photo on this I'd sure like to see it. Sounds like a fish story to me.

Posted on: 2012/2/6 14:28

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
been years but I think there was a write up in the bucks county news papers. Lewis is the family that does the netting down there. Dave at daves one stop sporting goods might know more than me. I was working down there when i heard it.

here is one report of the trout
The reported catches are:

A 15.5-inch and 20-inch tiger trout from the Delaware River just below the wing dam in Lambertville.

A tiger trout from the Delaware River below the Yardley, PA boat ramp.

A tiger trout from the Delaware River at Lambertville, caught in Lewis’ shad net.

A 6 lb., 25-inch brook trout from the Delaware River near the Old Wharf in Trenton.

thats all I have right now

Posted on: 2012/2/6 16:21

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From "THE VILLE"
A 6ft musky...I'm not gonna call anyone a lyer. But a fish having a full foot over Cal Johnsons debuncked record fish thats 60 1/4 inches suposedly caught outta Lac Court Oreilles lake. Im gonna have to say B.S.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 0:02

Edited by PACOFRANSICO on 2012/2/7 0:41:05
in the box, for if it is evil you seek,
then it can only be conjured with the
same.”

like I said it was reported by a shad netter whether it was true or not (shrug) who knows...I'm not going to go back through archives of the local news paper to find the story just to much work.. I heard it and passed it on here..Me myself I think it could be plausible in certain watersheds..The delaware is capable of supporting such a beast. I have dived in some of the holes and the fish 40 foot down will scare ya..

Posted on: 2012/2/7 6:09

Posted on: 2012/2/7 6:19

From "THE VILLE"
I woulnt despute that a 70 inch muskyinsnt possible, but in PA i think not. That was a interesting read. Thats PDF sums up the "muddy" musky world records. And how fish get imbelished over time. I think that on avg. bigger muskies swim today becuase of better management and a change in angler mind set. The current fly caught world record in the 36 pound tippet class was caught by Brad Bohen. A 51 .25 inch fish in Wis. Bohen record musky article For a shot @ a true beast like the in the 50 pound class on a fly well, Im gonna need a 12 wt. and work on my 16 inch sucker pattern, move to canada and become a musky tramp !

Posted on: 2012/2/7 7:50

Edited by PACOFRANSICO on 2012/2/7 8:30:56
same.”

From New Castle, PA
I would bet that lake Erie could hold a monster muskie. There is so much water to cover it would be possible for a true moster to be lurking around. I know that shenango lake in sharon pa has some big muskies along with the shenango river. Believe it or not there are some huge muskies in the neshanock creek. There are some deep holes in there where I have seen huge muskies crush trout after they are stocked. Plus the neshanock creek connects the the shenango river. Also moraine lake in butler has some big muskies. Another muskie lake is pymatuming. There are some large fish in there.

Posted on: 2012/2/7 16:01

From "THE VILLE"
Theres the standard huge fish a 50 incher. Were talkin a record class musky near 60 pound. Yeah Erie, ARTHUR, Pymy, Kinzua and the a Allegheny those are a gimmy. I dont see a 60 pound fish coming outta Neshanock or Shenango or any medium sz river. And let alone catching it on fly gear. We cant compete with pace, casting diastance, lure size, and the amount of water a guy with a baitcaster can cover. Gear fishing for musky is just more effiecent in every way. I didnt even mention fishing a lure or bait ( a 6 pound sucker) at a depth more than 20ft. Which is a real problem to solve with fly gear.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 0:14
same.”

From New Castle, PA
Well your shot at a large muskie with fly gear does limit you. That is why the shenango river below the dam might be your best option at a large muskie. Its the deepest point with large numbers of fish gathering there so small fish combined with bait fish draws in larger predators. In the evening fish move in closer from the dam. I am not sure if a 60 pound muskie is in there but you might be able to get into a really nice one on fly gear. If you do hook one there is a lot of rebarb in there and it will be tough to keep them out of this. I have seen guys hook into huge muskies in there but landing them is another story.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 12:03

You poor soles,
12wt with a 550 gr. lead core will get those 16" sucker flies to the 20'+ depths..got the rig here as a matter of fact..

Posted on: 2012/2/8 13:54

From Gettysburg
I suppose someone who was really dedicated and innovative could set up a fly rod with specs like Sandfly suggests above that would make it somewhat possible to target deep muskies in a place like Lake Erie, Lake St Clair, Kinzua, or St Lawrence River.

Just speaking honestly for myself, catching small river muskies on fly gear is so darn difficult in and of itself..... that actually trying to fish deep water just doesn't have any appeal to me. I'd stick to trolling conventional gear if I really wanted that trophy fish.

With regards to places in PA for trophies: I'd add Raystown as a sleeper. It's not really known for muskies like Pymatuning or Kinzua but has produced fish in the mid 50" class over the years. Definitely has the forage and deep water.
Not a place I'd care to FF for muskies however.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 14:06

yeah might be taking a trip to the st. Lawrence this year in the motor home. will take the 12 along to play with..

Posted on: 2012/2/8 14:15

From "THE VILLE"
River fish are awsome 90 percent of the time you get to see the fish take the fly. And the fish just comes outta nowhere. Its the most violent and brutal strike youll ever have. I had about 30 muskys strikes on a fly gear last yr. And I could go out and hook 1 tomorrow and it would still shake me up. If it didnt I'd quit.

Posted on: 2012/2/8 23:55
same.”

From New Castle, PA
I would like to get into some muskies with the fly rod this year. I have never tried them but I want to. I think it would be crazy to have a large muskie come out of nowhere and murder your fly.

Posted on: 2012/2/9 3:41

From Chester County
I agree with FishIdiot on fishing deep with flies. At some point, it becomes more work than fun. But even more than that, other than technically the rod and reel being a fly rod, it's not really fly fishing...to me anyway.

I'm okay with catching the small 40 - 50" fish while fly fishing...

BTW, great pics guys. Some real beasts on a fly rod. Good job!

Posted on: 2012/2/9 8:33

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com