Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Pattern Suggestions for Juniata near Mount Union

From Brickerville
Hi everyone,

I am finally going to give this WW smallie fishing a try. I have a short fishing and camping trip planned this weekend to hit the Juniata near
Mount Union and also the Raystown Branch of the J at Warriors Path State Park.

I realized last night that I may but unprepared in the fly department. I have a box full of trout sized 4 and 6 buggers, slump busters, and leaches. I am thinking I may need a few more patterns for the smallies. I am looking for any recommendations on patterns and colors that maybe producing.

Also if anyone is willing to share any insight to fishing the area that would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished either location.

Thanks
- Nomad

Posted on: 8/7 7:15

Re: Pattern Suggestions for Juniata near Mount Union
From Gettysburg
Quote:

nomad_archer wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am finally going to give this WW smallie fishing a try. I have a short fishing and camping trip planned this weekend to hit the Juniata near
Mount Union and also the Raystown Branch of the J at Warriors Path State Park.

I realized last night that I may but unprepared in the fly department. I have a box full of trout sized 4 and 6 buggers, slump busters, and leaches. I am thinking I may need a few more patterns for the smallies. I am looking for any recommendations on patterns and colors that maybe producing.

Also if anyone is willing to share any insight to fishing the area that would be greatly appreciated as I have never fished either location.

Thanks
- Nomad

River levels are on the high side, currently 4.8' at the Newport gage. The J fishes best when levels are under 4'. However, up around Mt Union, conditions can be different as the river is smaller scale. Hopefully, we'll avoid any more heavy rain this week.

Your buggers and slump busters are fine. I like 'em large, typically around 3" in length and 4" flies work well. Black is good when the water is stained or dirty, as has been the case this summer. Tie up some poppers and surface flies and you should be good to go.
Good luck with your trip.

Posted on: 8/7 7:38

From Brickerville
Thanks Dave. I am keeping an eye on the water levels. I am also taking my trout gear in case the river is blown out. I may be able to find some cool fish able trout water in a pinch.

Posted on: 8/7 7:51

From West Chester,PA
Don't forget some poppers too.
Charteuse ,black are good ones. Plus a few very small white Gaines poppers if the white flys are hatching.

Posted on: 8/7 11:52

From Lititz, Pa
I've had good luck on clouser crayfish and brown/white clousers minnows. Good luck!

Posted on: 8/8 9:24

From Brickerville
Thanks everyone for the recommendations.

Posted on: 8/8 10:39

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Angling Trade E-Survey: How Many Outdoor Print Magazines Do You Subscribe To?
None. Nada. Zip. 50% (46)
One or two. 32% (30)
Three or four. 13% (12)
More than four. 3% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2017/10/27 11:42
Comments?

Copyright 2017 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com