Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Only a matter of time

From Delaware Co.
Sorry to hear about the Susky Soon some of you will get the bug just like me . But don’t go running hysterical in the streets after you read this you will make lemonade out of your lemons just like I did .

https://news.maryland.gov/dnr/2019/06/ ... -conowingo-dam-fish-lift/

https://youtu.be/Nu8Onmgsw4c

Posted on: 6/13 18:07

Re: Only a matter of time

From Mechanicsburg
I just wish I wasn't averse to eating fish from the river. I've heard snakeheads can be good eating.

Posted on: 6/13 20:57

Not something to celebrate

Posted on: 6/13 21:31

From Dauphin County
Much like the spotted lantern fly or even carp and flatheads, I don’t see a scenario where we don’t have further expansion. Given their voracious attitude and supposed strong fight, I would also assume PFBC will eventually lessen efforts to control them like they did with flatheads. Other than catching and killing, which isn’t generally in our nature, what can be done?

Posted on: 6/14 8:35

From Northern VA
Fortunately the Susky is big enough that NSH could be targeted in boats by bow fishermen, who have put a major dent in the population in the Potomac. I don't think it's a given that the fish will make it past the dam, though, if they're being killed intentionally when they try passing through the fish ladder.

Posted on: 6/14 10:56

From Granville
Quote:

SteveG wrote:
I just wish I wasn't averse to eating fish from the river. I've heard snakeheads can be good eating.

Why are you averse to eating fish from the river? I'll munch down on some snakeheads for sure.

Posted on: 6/15 3:41

From Mechanicsburg
I guess it's because I see all the runoff from the city that enters it. Granted, it may be a small percentage of the total volume. The only fish I generally eat are saltwater fish. I don't like the taste of trout, and pickerel have eluded me for years.

Posted on: 6/15 8:17

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

SteveG wrote:
I guess it's because I see all the runoff from the city that enters it. Granted, it may be a small percentage of the total volume. The only fish I generally eat are saltwater fish. I don't like the taste of trout, and pickerel have eluded me for years.

From what I'm told the Northern Snakehead doesn't hold contaminates as heavy as other fishes

Posted on: 6/17 13:22

From Delaware Co.
Got a report they caught one on the Delaware in Matamoras .

Posted on: 6/26 22:21

From Williamsport, PA
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:

Wasn't that like a year ago? I thought ya would have heard of more by now from there.

Posted on: 6/27 10:06

From Berks County
Quote:

Susquehanna wrote:
Not something to celebrate

Exactly. No clue why anyone would be happy about this ugly ass fish spreading into other waters.

Posted on: 6/27 12:18

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

bigjohn58 wrote:
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:

Wasn't that like a year ago? I thought ya would have heard of more by now from there.

Oh I just heard about it

Posted on: 6/27 12:20

From SE Pa
Quote:

sarce wrote:
Fortunately the Susky is big enough that NSH could be targeted in boats by bow fishermen, who have put a major dent in the population in the Potomac. I don't think it's a given that the fish will make it past the dam, though, if they're being killed intentionally when they try passing through the fish ladder.

It's a given they will pass the fish ladder. Believe it or not, unsporting Beer swilling idiots will be the ones moving them past the dam.

I hear they are good eating but The raccoons will feast on any I catch. The need to attempt to control them is readily apparent and the harvesting of them is what's worked the best so far.

Posted on: 6/27 18:41

Well, they showed up in Bernharts Dam in Berks Co a few years ago, reproduced, and then the dam needed to be drained for dam safety reasons. The outflow goes under Reading and into the Schuylkill R. The dam was 50 miles from any know source. I have not kept up with the dam breaching situation, but I asume that may have been drained by now.

Posted on: 6/27 18:50

From Granville
I do wonder how long it will take before these fish are here in my neck of the woods. I know that it is going to happen and I don't believe that there is any stopping it. I dislike the fact that these fish will hang in all of the slack water areas where the redbreasts and smallies will spawn. Flatheads are now showing up in good numbers up here and sizable fish are being caught. The world is a constantly changing place. I bet in 5 years I have snakeheads here which I'll be eating and I'll have lanternflies here which will be trying to eat my grapes.

I still don't think the snakeheads will find the upper Juniata all that suitable, however.

Posted on: 6/28 6:17

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook
USGS Water Levels <Click Map>
Polls
Has the Internet helped or hurt your fly fishing experiences?
Helped 90% (29)
Hurt 9% (3)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2019/9/29 17:31
1 Comment

Copyright 2019 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com