Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

One Honking Big Sunnie

From Pgh
Pulled from the PFBC website... obviously full of eggs but still the biggest sunfish I have ever seen.

Attach file:

jpg  Picture 1.jpg (0.00 KB)
1677_4a2e9bcb55f38.jpg X px

Posted on: 2009/6/9 13:27

Re: One Honking Big Sunnie

From SEPA
Yeah, that's one dinner plate sunnie. They sure can pull, especially when they turn sideways. I love catching stuff like that.

Posted on: 2009/6/9 14:49

From Johnstown, PA
Meadowgrounds Lake in Fulton co has em like that , they sure are fun on a fly rod.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 9:09

From Monessen, PA
My sister-in-law just showed me her techniques in filleting them and frying them and they are delicious (for me that means without any fishy taste). I had always heard good things about them, but never tasted and never kept them because I had no idea how to harvest the small fillets they render.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:00

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Greensburg, PA
I used to do that all the time...but if you do it more than two days from garbage day it becomes unpleasant.

Posted on: 2009/6/12 10:02

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
There's a private pond I fish every year with a church pot luck dinner/fishing outing. It's coming up in 2 weeks and I'm pumped. There are some very large bluegill in there and some 10-16 in. LM bass too. It's not unusual to catch 30 fish in a few hours. Nice when it only gets fished once a year. The panfish can get big (picture below) and they fight better than the bass sometimes. Had my streamer get taken about 2 feet off the water on a cast by a bass 2 years ago, craziest thing I've seen, couldn't believe my eyes.

Attach file:

jpg  504.jpg (0.00 KB)
227_4a3661308af5d.jpg X px

Posted on: 2009/6/15 10:56

From Pgh
ryguyfi,
There are times when bass go bonkers over damsel flies. I've caught quite a few bass during these times when the fly doesn't even touch the water before a jumping fish nails it. It is amazing. Especially when you consider the judgement needed by the fish to break through the water and time the bite just right.

One year I ran out of damsel fly imiitations -- I never carry more than one or two with me -- I had to resort to the next best thing... green drake comp ties. They worked!

Posted on: 2009/6/15 15:26

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com