Ocean City NJ

buffalo

buffalo

Heading down to OC, NJ in the morning, for the week. Usually fish Corsons Inlet with a 9’ 7 weight and Clousers then switch to a surf rig using pieces of the snapper blues I catch for fluke. Anyone have any suggestions on alternative on places or tactics?
Thanks,
Buffalo

I fish the surf once a week for the last couple years, and last year decided to try some fly fishing in the surf.

That didn't work out too well, but whatever.

I had better luck at Corson's, but mostly just experiemented this year. I've been doing some reading, and am more prepared this time than I was last time. I had some herring at night off the boat launch dock in the outgoing tide, and I suspect along the inlet itself shouldn't be too bad.

There's also a section up towards the inlet end on the OC side they call the oyster bar. I understand that's decent.

The big bridge across the bay, I think its the Ninth St Bridge is supposed to have fishing access at the islands, but I never tried it. There's also supposed to be an access back into creeks that feed Corson's inlet at ~51st st, or so. You should see it on Google maps.

I bought a couple of Ed Mitchell books, one specifically on fly rodding the coast, and another on bays and estuaries. They've got me excited to get out there again, if you can only afford one, I suggest the former.

Gfen,
Thanks for the reply,
After a couple days of high wind and no snapper blues I decided it wasn’t worth getting the fly line dirty so I used my surf rod. Tried the oyster bar and all the way out to the ocean on the OC side of the inlet with little more than a few short flounder. I’ll caulk it up to the time of year ’cause we usually go down after Labor Day and I had always done much better. The local fishing reports (bassbarn.com) were talking about, bass, flounder and kings but most of that was from boats.
Maybe next year.

Buffalo

FWIW, my friends have been going to the "fishing beach" at Sandy Hook for the last couple weeks. Its a really quick drop off, someone told me its only about 70' or so to the drop, and they've been bringing in consistent fluke, sea robins, and skates on bait in the surf.

I'm hoping to get a chance to hit that up with them soon, there's also some decent looking areas to explore on the island if I look at sattelite views on google maps.

From where I'm at, the trip should take less than 3 hours. THat makes it a day trip in my book. Looks like you're a bit further west, but its not too bad.

Back