OBX fly patterns and guides.

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Hey guys I will be hitting up OBX with the family in late July.

Any insights on how to catch something down there on the fly?

Also anyone ever do any guided trips down there?

I will be taking my 10wt I got set up for musky. The reel on it is the Allen LXA and has a complexly sealed drag system. so I think it should be good.

Any insight also on how to care for my reel and rod after fishing will also be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

I've not done a guided trip in the OBX but I'm somewhat familiar with the area and used to FF there fairly frequently.

Season matters a lot: in July you can expect to encounter a lot of warm water fishes such as cobia, jacks, spanish, and even tarpon (tarpon are uselly targeted by bait fishermen rather than FFers in OBX - this isn't typically the style of FFing one would associate with south Florida) as well as lots of offshore species if you go out in a boat, especially dolphin. There might be small stripers and bluefish around too, although mid-summer isn't prime time.

Anyway, I like shallow water and would suggets looking into kayaking. The flats back behind the OBX are vast and actually better for wading than much of the Keys. A 10WT is on the heavy side for summer flats, but tie up some flashy Clousers (copper colored material works well) and go paddle around looking for reds, speckled trout, and flounder.

If you're looking to hire a guide, which is a good idea, let them know that you seek to use FF gear. If you don't mind picking up a spin rod if conditions are tough, the guide will appreciate that and you'll have a better chance of hooking up.

There are other OBX threads, try searching them out for more info, if you haven't already done so.

Maybe try a ep minnow. Tie them up to look like mullets. Plus I see you use furry foam so maybe do yourself a blue claw crab pattern.

clousers black and orange with copper crystal, green and white
Deceivers- black and orange
Avalon keel crabs
I learned how to salt water fly fish from Sarah Gardner. She and her husband run flat out charters. Give them a try, they are out of Oregon Inlet fishing center.
PM me closer to when you are going down ill try to help you with spots.

+1 for Sarah Gardner.

I'd add that, since you're probably tying flies for this trip, you should have plenty of patterns with weed guards.

I like a basic mono loop for Clouser minnows. Most of the backside flats in OBX are grass and you'll be glad you had some flies with weed guards.

With respect to cleaning your gear, I usually don't clean fly gear daily at the beach because I'm only on the salt water for a day or three. When I'm done and home, I fill a bucket with warm, soapy water (dish soap) and toss everything in it. Get a scrub brush to clean your rods with the soapy water. Pay careful attention to the guides. Then remove your reel, hemoststas, knife, etc and scrub them with the brush, rinse 'em off and let them air out in the sun before you put them away.

Back