Nymphing fast runs (slots) for smallies

geebee

geebee

Hey Fellas,

I thought i'd try nymphing the lower Brandywine one night after work this week.

looking at the water, its not exactly classic pocket water, more deep fast greeny slots between crystal clear shallow areas - if this was trout, i'd upstream indicator nymph hard on the bottom down to the tail of the slot...

does this, will this work ? - i was thinking of using a tungsten czech nymph dropper with a conehead bugger on the point.

i'm told that smallies, rock bass and slot stripers will be around.

any advice is most welcome - i could drive 20 minutes upstream and swing streamers, wets and poppers, but this i figure will be harder (or easier ?) and a new experience for me.

cheers

Mark.

Those are the kind of lies Smallies like from mid to late Summer. I'd lose the dropper...just more to get tangled and it will make casting the streamer harder. Just get the bugger or another weighted streamer deep on the far side of the current seam and then swing it across. Rock Bass usually won't hold in that kind of water (too much current), but you'll find out pretty quickly if there are Smallies there.

Thanks Swattie. i'll give it a go and alternate the streamer with hairy bugs.

i did find this article whilst googling from old whitehead himself, which i thought was a good read :

http://www.flyfisherman.com/2011/05/14/nymphing-for-smallmouth/#axzz2cX5rZDyw

What Swattie said.

Back