Nockamixon Muskellunge/Tiger Muskellunge survey video April 2014

M

Mike

With the amount of discussion that occurs about muskies and the seemingly growing interest among fly anglers in catching these fish, I thought I would provide you with the video of this April's muskellunge survey at Nockamixon Lake, Bucks Co, located in Nockamixon State Park.

Many thanks to Rick Roche, Muskellunge Incorporated Chapter 50 member, who filmed and produced the video.

Since I have also referenced trap netting in the past, you will be to get a good impression of what is involved in trap netting and what a trap net actually looks like. You will also see how fish are PIT tagged and how the unique tag number given to each fish can be detected. The largest fish in the video is a tiger muskellunge; the smaller muskies are pure muskellunge that were stocked in fall, 2012 as 11-15 inch fish, purchased with club funds and delivered from a Wisconsin hatchery by Muskellunge, Incorporated Chapter 50. This stocking was coordinated through the PFBC and was not some rogue effort. Clearly, the pures are growing quite rapidly...already 26-27 inches long.

You will also notice a few plump walleye and a plump white catfish being processed.

For those who may wonder about the design of net, it was designed by the then PFC years ago for capturing muskellunge and walleye from Pymatuning Sanctuary for hatchery spawning operations.

http://youtu.be/bNDqLOUxWBg

Great video, thanks for sharing!!

Neat video. There's some nice fish in that lake (those walleyes were whoppers!).

Good to see so many purebreds doing well from the 2012 stocking.

thanks for posting this Mike and all the work you do

Nice video and good work to observe.
I like just being able to watch how things are done

Back