Nj surf

T

thesmayway

Has anyone ever successfully fished the surf in NJ this time of year for blues or striper or are they usually out of casting range? Ive caught blues on my 8wt in OBX but we're heading down to Ling Beach Island next week and the reports look prime. I'll take gear, but I'd like to try the fly rod too

thesmayway wrote:
Has anyone ever successfully fished the surf in NJ this time of year for blues or striper or are they usually out of casting range? Ive caught blues on my 8wt in OBX but we're heading down to Ling Beach Island next week and the reports look prime. I'll take gear, but I'd like to try the fly rod too

Yes, you can catch blues and bass form the surf with FF gear and this is a good time of year. Both species are often close to shore right now.

However, surf fishing is entirely a game of chance as the fish move in and out. I was there last week and struck out. However, gear anglers were also not catching from the surf. Some folks were catching blues in the Barnegat Inlet (which is where you're going) but the rocks were very crowded with anglers. Take your spin gear anyway as some days are simply too windy and rough to FF and on those days I'll use spin gear.

As suggested, if possible fish the inlet... if the weather and water are decent you'll find some blues for sure. Bass will be around also.

Back