New World Record Great Barracuda

F

Fishidiot

The IGFA has approved a new, all tackle, world record cuda. This toothy critter chomped a musky plug trolled off Christmas Island - 87lbs. While there are larger records for other species of barracudas, this is the new record for the species we're familiar with along the US Atlantic coast and FL Keys.

Cuda!

Since this cuda took a Muskie plug, the logical extension would be they would take Muskie flies...which would be awesome....not sure if they come shallow enough for fly gear, but I'd be willing to give it shot.

Cuda's are great fun on fly. I have cought more of them than I could count. They do come in shallow. Winter time in the keys. Feb. and March are the best times. I have had some very large ones in the past. The biggest one ever on fly was 62''. I have some flies I tie that work very well. Hook a big one and it will blow you mind how fast they are. But that 87 pounder is huge.

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
Cuda's are great fun on fly.
GenCon

I agree - they're a blast in shallow water on fly or light tackle.
This is near heresy to admit....but when fishing Keys flats I'd almost rather hook a good sized cuda than a bonefish! It has been my experience, however, that Keys cudas are quite difficult to catch on a fly. They're not picky but are spooky and hard to get close enough to present a fly. They're easy on spin rods with a tube lure but most of the time if I get a shot at a cuda that is within range of a double haul, the game is already over.

Cudas don't get no respect in FL - folks down there tend to regard them as trash fish that pester wreck fishermen and deep water trollers; a fish that is only good for shark chum. That's a shame because in shallow water on matching tackle, they will make blistering runs and jumps that are just awesome.
I love 'em.

Crawdad31 wrote:
Since this cuda took a Muskie plug, the logical extension would be they would take Muskie flies...which would be awesome....not sure if they come shallow enough for fly gear, but I'd be willing to give it shot.

Yep, they'll eat muskie flies (or just about any fly that is long, slender, and retrieved fast). They've got toothy gear that will put a muskie to shame. Unlike muskies/pike - fish that seize prey and swallow it whole - cudas actually have teeth that allow them to severe their prey. It's unbelievable how fast an attacking cuda can cut another fish in half. Because they can do this, they tend to strike very large lures or baits.

To find cudas in shallow water, it's mainly a south FL game - as GenCon points out, it's mainly a winter game for big flats cudas. They're found further up the Atlantic coastline but aren't' generally regarded as a shallow water fish.

fishidiot, I used to go every Winter mostly just to fish for cudas. Most of our fishing was done by wading. I have a fly I tie which is my interpretation of a tube lure. I used a 10 wt. rod with an intermediat shooting head. You can get pretty close while wading.

GenCon

Sight casting to cudas on a flat is a blast.

Biggest one I've seen in shallow water was around 60" in Cayman and he was waiting for the tide to flush out a huge shoal of bones - which gives you an idea of how quick they are.

They have to hammer a fly too....Tarpon have peaked my interest and now what you fellows have been saying about Cuda has got me really considering getting serious about the salt. Heck it's an excuse to take the wife south in February. One final thought I don't know how anyone could consider a 60" cuda a junk fish just from looking at a fish with all those teeth and that size.

Crawdad, I have fished for cudas and tarpon since I was 18 yrs. old.
I am now almost 55. So I have been doing it a while. Cudas and tarpon are 2-worlds apart. Both incredible fish. I have seen a 4' cuda hit a 10 lb bone fish and slice it in half faster than you can blink. I have also seen many huge tarpon eat a 2'' long fly like it was going to be his last meal. Both very cool. Advantage to cudas in Winter is you don't need a guide. You can find pleanty of them while wading.
There are plenty of wading spots in the Keys. I also agree cudas are not trash fish.

GenCon

I just think there is something to admire about a fish like that. Mouth full of razor sharp teeth, lots of speed and power... And a murderous heart. That's why I love musky. One of these days I'll get my act together and fish the salt.

Here's a nice little cuda article:

Link

Not to brag but I think had I had the appropriate class tippet and submitted it I would have laid the smack down on the IGFA record. This beast took me into my backing 3 times.... or was it four? I still have the scars on my stripping hand from it's first blistering run.
j1280x960-03034.jpg

Watch out! That fish will take your hand off. LOL

GC

Back