New Orleans Fly Fishing

elonDO

elonDO

I'll be in New Orleans for a work conference the first week of April. Depending on whether or not the wife comes along, I may try to get out and do some fishing. I was thinking about looking into some Redfish fishing. Anybody been to that area & no of any good guides/outfits down there? I'll be staying right in New Orleans at the Hyatt Regency New Orleans on Loyola Avenue. Any info or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I am from New Orleans. The closest place with very good redfish action is Jean Laffite, LA. The locals just call it "Laffite". It's only about 45 minutes from downtown New Orleans. The area is a brackish to saltwater marsh off of the Barataria Waterway (ship channel).

April is a good time to fly fish the shallows for redfish. I do not know any by name, but I'm sure there are a handful of guides who specialize in poling the shallows for reds.

There is an Orvis Fly Shop in New Orleans. Try calling them to get linked up with a fly fishing guide.

Good luck!

Try Capt. Gregg Arnold at garnold3@cox.net. He is in New Orleans and is one of the best known around. I have fished with him several times and done very well. I have also fished the Jean Lafite area but the area where Gregg guides is much better.

http://shop.uptownangler.com/guide/redfish-flyfishing-guide-new-orleans.html

Back