Musky Fishing in State College

TLoomis

TLoomis

Do we have any musky hunters in the state college area? I'm up at school right now and I've got all my toothy critter gear, but I have no idea where to fish for these things. I've heard of them in bald eagle creek (I think that was it), and I know there's some up past Altoona in Prince Gallitzin, but other than that I'm clueless. If anyone could point me in the right direction, or would like to do some musky fishing this fall, shoot me a PM. I've gotta land one of these greased pigs.

Ty

The big "J" is probably the best water. Go on to PAFBC site they have a map showing all stocked musky waters. But these fish travel.

Yeah I've heard the Big J has em as well. I've been looking around on the website and all I have to say is ... I wish I had a boat haha.

Also, I'm willing to drive an hour or two if there's accessible water (wading, shore, etc).

Stop down in TCO state college. Those guys might be able to help.

Not sure you'll find any muskies but the Juniata is very wadeable from Lewistown up. Lots of places around Huntingdon. Not far from State College.

Thanks McSneak.

Paco, I talked to all of the guys there about them for a bit but didn't get much. Although, one guy did tell me that the leader of the PSU fly fishing club up here is addicted to musky fishing too so we'll see what he has to say on Thursday

Who's the president of the psu club?

The guy in TCO said his name is Lenny. I'm pretty sure he's a student here.

Yep - Juniata River - focus on the section above Lewistown.

Also: Raystown Lake and the West Branch of the Susky around Williamsport and the main stem below Sunbury.

TLoomis wrote:
The guy in TCO said his name is Lenny. I'm pretty sure he's a student here.

That is probably the famous (or infamous) Lenny Gliwa who works for TCO. I met him in the Reading shop. He has a blog on the TCO website but don't think he's updated it in awhile. Also is featured on some of their youtube tying videos. Some guys on here know him.

Ha Im friends with Lenny. Just talked to him a couple weeks ago. He's a good guy.

Protip: He's filled with protips.

#protip

Haha nice I'll have to get in touch with him

There are Muskies in the Juniata. I was fortunate to catch a 40" Muskie several years ago wading near Mount Union just below Huntingdon.

Yes there are muskies in the Juniata, they have tormented me for the past two years.

Wade fishing for muskies sounds brutal. They don't exactly hang around in the most wadeable areas... creek mouths perhaps?

Any time you musky fly fish is brutal. But I've got all my musky and pike while wading except 2. Pick your spots according to what you can cover and keep you fly swimming.

I have known Lenny for a few years and we fish together whenever we are in the same area. He has really caught the muskie bug and will be able to help you. Good kid, but shitty hair. Make sure when you talk to him you tell him I said that.

Paco, how many muskies have you caught on the fly? Thats pretty sweet!

Probably 20 or so. I'm guessing double that in pike.

Back