Muskie, how long will it take ?

Muskiemusic

Muskiemusic

So when I was 10 my grandfather took me fly fishing for the first time. I fished with him mostly for trout here and there but fell away from the fly. And my craze for toothy fish came about the age of 18. I love walleye and Muskie fishing. Caught a ton of eyes and landed five Muskies the biggest being 42". (All on spinning gear) so within the last six months I we connected with a old friend of mine. Who is obsessed with fly fishing. So I went out and bought a 5wt a 7wt and 9wt and 10wt rods LMAO. One for trout and bass and Muskie. Let's just say I'm back in. I've been talking to a ton of dudes and they said it's taking them twi years to land a musky. It's a fish that requires a thick skin and lots of patience. Yeah yeah I understand that. I've been on the river three times in the last two weeks and I already had one strike on a triple . I have a jet motor and a Jon boat . Basically I'm on here asking for everybody's advice. I don't care if it takes me 5years I'm here to learn and I fully enjoy being on the water. So what's your best retrieve? Favorite fly? Favorite water? Rods? Lines? Reels. I just wanna know what people are doing . I love this fish and I'm excited for the day I get one to take my fly. Thanks

Welcome Muskiemusic to our online FFing community.

For the most part, we're a bunch of trout guys... but some of us focus a lot on warm water fish. If you haven't already seen them, there are two "Toothy Critter Success" threads where you can check out some muskie motivation.

How long will it take? If you're experienced with gear fishing, you should have a good feel for the muskie game and considering that you have already had a hook-up in three trips is a good start, I'd say. As TD55 and the hard core muskie guys like to say, "From zero to hero!"

Why not just get keep hitting the river and keep us informed of your progress? Post pics in the current "Toothy Critter Success" thread.

Follows count too. :)

Hey thanks for the kind words man! Will do!

The hardest thing I had to get over is the hookset. You need to strip set these fish. Keep your rod tip in the water. And always point your rid tip toward the fly. Don't use your rod tip to impart action. retrieving this way creates slack between your stripping hand and your fly. I try to I'm part all my flys movement with my stripping hand.

Get the sharpest hooks you can afford. (I wish I had someone say this to me my first year) Muskies mouth are very hard to get a good set on even when you coffin corner them.

Other than that be prepared to spend a lot of time casting and learn while your on the water. Just don't go through the motions. Stay on the clock. And fish from top to bottom. Yesterday's hot fly or tactic doesn't always work.

Muskies are stocked in the Schuylkill in the Reading locale from Maiden Creek confluence down to the Reading sewage treatment plant.

Yes, for god's sake, don't "trout set" them! I learned that lesson the hard way and had a small piece of flesh and broken dreams to show for it. Still chasing the elusive "water wolf"...

That being said, follow the advice above. And most importantly, while this may sound obvious, fish where the fish are. Since muskies are largely a river/lake fish, you have to be able to cover some water. There are rivers and creeks that are stocked with them and locating them involves covering a LOT of water. I've been stalking them from shore and wading and to say that it's challenging would be an understatement.

Keep the fly in the water, in the strike zone and put your time in. Since you have a boat, you're well ahead of the game. Recon the areas they're stocked and look for the "frog water" with woody debris habitat.

Two of your best opportunities in Berks Co to at least get your fly in front of a Muskie regardless of whether it strikes are the immediate tail race of Blue Marsh, known as the stilling basin, and Kaercher Creek Lake. Both are small areas with sometimes numerous, sometimes large fish. They will hit at night in the tailrace as well as during the day...personal experiences with lures.

Mike, my first Muskie was at the spillway at night fishing for walleye. Not a fan of k creek too weedy for flies...

Muskiemusic wrote:
Not a fan of k creek too weedy for flies...

Have you done any topwater stuff (with a weed guard)?

No not yet. Any suggestions ?

Back