Muskie @ Iceout...

• Thread starter StudentofTheStream
  • Start date
StudentofTheStream

StudentofTheStream

Well as I wished the winter time away by tying big nasty muskie/pike streamers it seems that the time is approaching. As I traveled for work today I'm noticing my local reservoir is starting to thaw around the edges and probably has about 5 ft of thawed water around the perimeter.

To any of you guys who try and catch these monster when the ice rolls off I have a few questions.

Do you wait for all the ice to clear from a lake before launching an assault for the toothy beasts or do you just wait for the shallower backwaters and stream fed area's to free up before you jump in?

I've been doing some reading as well and there seems to be some disparity in the thought behind bait size at this time of year. Some guys say smaller patterns in the 4-6" range work the best and some other say still that if you want a big fish you throw a big bait. Obviously nothing I tied can match some of the monstrous lures that bait casters throw but most of them are in the 8-12" range with a few smaller ones mixed in. Any thoughts here?

Also I plan on taking my boat out in search of these fish as it's typically easier than trying to cast from a relatively steep bank with a fly rod. Good idea or would I be better off on foot?

I'm sure I have more questions but I'm drawing a blank right now.

Oh any specific color patterns you prefer?

I know this isn't what most fly guys usually talk about when March rolls around but I've caught many fish during the olive hatch. I've yet to catch a muskie when the ice hatches. (or ever for that matter)

I'm eager to get out and try my hand for these ferocious yet finicky predators.

Student,
The ice-out game is actually more typically associated with fishing for northern pike rather than muskies in my experience. There's a local lake near my home that has a good pike population and I like to fish 'em from ice out until early April - after that, they're in deep water. As for muskies, they're catchable year round but, at least in lakes, I don't think they're quite as aggressive as pike in the colder water. Ice fishermen know this and often target pike but usually not muskies. Rivers seem to be another story and big muskies often hit in winter in rivers.
Whatever the case, muskies can be found shallow in springtime. It wouldn't surprise me to see a muskie right along the shoreline this time of year....but I wouldn't worry about missing out on muskies if you don't get right out at ice-out. If it's a big pike on a fly you want - get out there now. If you're looking for muskies, you can take your time.
Flies don't matter much. I like white streamers for pike but typically prefer articulated streamers in the 6" range for muskies - earth tones for clear water and orange/black/chartruese for stained.

FI,

From some things I've been reading, which isn't to say it necessarily true, musky as well as pike can be caught at ice out. Though on that note I think you're absolutely right about the pike.

They're supposed to spawn before the musky which is just when the ice rolls off the water. I'm not sure of the water temp ranges but I believe I read somewhere around 40.

Soon after the muskies will try to spawn in the shallow areas so as you suggested perhaps its not as pertinent to be out on the water right as the ice comes off.

We've got a lake that's pretty close to me that supposedly holds a decent amount of pike so perhaps I'll check that out before I venture to the more musky friendly waters.

I'm just dying to get out and fish somewhere but trout just aren't as appealing in recent years. I think I've been lured to the dark side of fly fishing... WARM WATER!

Agree with what has been said. While pike are the predominant fish I see at iceout, there are usually some muskies mixed in.

No need to wait til the ice is completely gone to start...the fish will find those warmer, shallow bays...so get started . I know some ice fishing guys that, late in the season, will put their 5 tip ups spaced only a few feet apart from right at shore to about 6' off shore.

As for the boat, my recommendation is to primarily use the boat to move from area to area, but get out of the boat to fish because the fish can be too shallow for the boat. The fish will often stack like cord wood on the bank with their tails almost on the bank. They can be lethargic, but just walk parallel to the bank and a few of them will take...the others will give you a mighty scare when you almost step on them and they take off giving you a quick shower.
I will typically fish my way down the bank concentrating primarily on casting and recasting parallel to the bank (because the fish sometimes take a couple casts on the nose to elicit a response). I will then fish my way back with more of a fan cast hitting some of the open water, too. Sometimes when you "jump" the fish, they are a little more energetic and will begin feeding more actively in the open water before they settle back down.

Lemme know when you are heading out!

Well with yesterday being so nice I decided to bail on working and put the boat on the water at Yellow Creek Lake in Indiana Pa in search of something with teeth.

After fishing some shallow area's looking for the fish for a couple hours I finally found them.

Although I didn't catch any it was some of the most fun I've had fishing. It was almost like bone fishing except for pike. They unfortunately were much more interested in spawning than taking any presentation I could give them.

It was amazing to see these large fish in 6" or less of water. Just deep enough to keep the boat floating on top of the weed bed they were spawning in. All in all it was a beautiful evening and I had a great time. Just like Arnold...I'll be back!

Attachments

• YellowCreekLakeSunset.jpg
    YellowCreekLakeSunset.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 4
Very cool video SOTS. If you can't aggravate them into striking, try the open, deeper water just outside of where you found them...While it's more blind casting / hit or miss, you might find an active feeder in that area.
How many were there in that area? Seemed (and sounded) like there were a couple just off camera, too. Were they nice size...difficult to gauge from video.

Awesome video! I may be heading that way tomorrow to get some fishing in. Are the fish only accessible by boat or would they be able to be reached from shore, or even with waders on? A PM would be ok if you don't want to broadcast. I hit Glendale lake last weekend and most of the lake was still frozen. I ventured to the spillway, but it was moving so fast it was very tough fishing. Good luck to all those hunting for some teeth.

David I did try fishing the outskirts of this area as well for about 45 minutes as well without any takers. I figured the same thing. I can see it being very productive post spawn though. Once you got out of the reeds the water gradually dropped from 1 to 6 ft within about 30 ft of the bed.

I was really surprised at the # of fish. I probably saw 15-20 pairs in the 100 or so yard stretch of weed bed with a few other cruisers. Most fish were in the 2 ft range though I did spot some other larger fish probably 30-35".

I didn't see any follows except for 1 fish in the extreme shallows but he gave up after a few feet and repeated casts. The water was really cloudy though. My fish finder kept telling me I was in 1-2 ft of water but I couldn't see the bottom. Sure enough when I put the rod out that was about it.

Tuna I'll send you a PM of the location on the lake. I was glad to have the boat although this is accessible by foot. Wading through the reed/weed bed could get very 'sticky' very quickly. It was very soft mud the vegetation was holding in but I didn't get out of the boat to test how deep it sank.

Good for you on a great find! Keep at it...you'll tie into several of them this year. As the water gets warmer, try some big poppers in surprisingly shallow water!

David wrote:
Good for you on a great find! Keep at it...you'll tie into several of them this year. As the water gets warmer, try some big poppers in surprisingly shallow water!

LOL! I was fishing in the spring at Marsh Creek Reservoir in my kayak for panfish. I spotted multiple muskies in the shallow water which was less than foot deep. The only decent sized fly I had with me was a pencil popper. I tied it on and....Kazzam!!! In a two hour span I had three muskies on but failed to land any of them because my tackle was too light. Great fun though!

Afish- I have a 38 inch musky on the wall that I caught the same way. Was fishing for bass though, so I did have a little heavier tackle. Not really musky worthy but it worked. I also had a tiger musky take a 10 inch rainbow that i was reeling in. Looked like those sharks attacking tarpon in Boca. Took me a few minutes to figure out what the heck was going on while it was happening. surreal.

I got a cortland 10wt just for this purpose. My buddy and I are hardcore pursueing muskies this summer. I found out it takes very specialized takle to fish for em. Really big hooks, big bullet proof flies and arm to cast em all day. I got a 100 pack of mustad 6/0 the other day and have pretty much destroyed my vise 2 time already tyeing them.

Here is some of my tyes.
DSC05460.jpg

DSC05459.jpg

DSC05458.jpg

Dude, those are some big flies. That first one, if it was yellow, you would have to call it Sponge bob square pants. Or Block Head. :) Nice ties!

That popper is called the sponge bob square head and was originally tyed by Brad Bohan. You know wjhats the funnest part about fishing for pike and musky with these. Theres no drag free drift no steathly presentations.

I realy dont think there is an answer for the question because it depends on what body of water you fish. Lakes down here after ice out usualy produce when the water temps reach 40 or so .You'll find them shallow as mentioned. Instead of fishing the first few days of regulation trout opening I fish Marsh creek and look for the shallow points and coves where they can warm up and find some tasty fish nuggets.Black is the predominent color with a bit of red at the gill/throat area. Black Deaths,bunny leaches,bend backs, and Dahlbug Divers is what i catch them on in this lake. Stealth is a must as they are quite spooky.

Paco- You fish below the dam in curwensville much? I fished it for musky once years ago. I was told it's pretty good place for them. I just moved up that way (Smoke Run) so I will be checkin it out.

Yea I fish the outflow of the dam and the old creek channel ( the backwaters). There is alotta bait fish and rough fish in it. I caught a 40 inch tiger outta the pee wee nest acouple of years ago. And I fished the dam some too. There are some nice ones up there but ya need a boat to effectively fish that.

Back