Martha's Vineyard - Labor Day Week

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Staying on Martha's Vineyard during Labor Day week. Never fished it. Any info would be appreciated.

here ya go ;

Attachments

• MVMap-lg.jpg
    MVMap-lg.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 5
Sounds like a great time! I'd have an 8WT or 9WT (with 150 yards of backing) and look for albies/bonitos along the beaches at dawn and dusk. My guess would be that stripers and bluefish would likely be mainly a night game around Labor Day weekend(?). Although I've never fished them, I've heard good things about Lobsterville Beach and Menemsha.
Good luck with your trip Tom - post some pics and report.

If you run into the President, tell him there's a couple of loose ends he forgot to tie up before he went on vacay!

The_Sasquatch wrote:
If you run into the President, tell him there's a couple of loose ends he forgot to tie up before he went on vacay!

He did give me an invite, but our schedules didn't mesh.

Were you looking to do surf, boat, or bay fishing? Is this a trip where you'll have time to invest or looking for a quick fix?

At this time of year...esp. if you do some structure fishing in the bays...have some sand eels, menhaden, large streamers...but also some very small, 2 inch, baitfish imitations. You can catch a bunch of schoolies munching on the YOY a little inland. Great fun on a 7wt with some spot and stalk opportunities, with easy wading and not much need of a stripping basket.

I've never fished the vineyard. I will eagerly anticipate the results from this trip!

If your able I would hire a guide Tweed or take me with you I will get you into some fish :-D

David wrote:
Were you looking to do surf, boat, or bay fishing? Is this a trip where you'll have time to invest or looking for a quick fix?

At this time of year...esp. if you do some structure fishing in the bays...have some sand eels, menhaden, large streamers...but also some very small, 2 inch, baitfish imitations. You can catch a bunch of schoolies munching on the YOY a little inland. Great fun on a 7wt with some spot and stalk opportunities, with easy wading and not much need of a stripping basket.

Not really a fishing trip, David..."quick fix" describes it best, mixing in a few hours fishing here and there with a vacation.

When you say "a little inland" I assume you mean in the protected ponds and bays?

Sandfly, you forgot to mark the hardside of the Gut in red :p

Seriously, I wrote the below in another thread:

-----------

Check Big Bridge on the road between Oak Bluff and Edgartown or the jetty on the Lobsterville side of Menemsha. Get there early and just cast smally epoxies. Intermediate line, 15# straight mono leader and a fast strip. If the fish have been showing daily either by the number of anglers there, or by seeing the fish pop on the surface here and there. Key is to just throw and keep throwing.... Good luck.

-------------

Link

Back