Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: MI record muskie

From Harrisburg PA
It was, not sure if it still is as I don't keep any fish, a larger minimum size limit and smaller daily limit. Again, don't really know the specifics, as I have never kept a bass other than the sriped variety.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 12:22

From Bozeman

Posted on: 2009/12/29 12:22

Ahh got it, dudes.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 12:30

From NE Philaedlphia
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
Fred you have to past the test first to see if your Musky Jam worthy .........Do you have any credentials ?

Nothing like that in freshwater. Heading up to Salmon River for steelhead with Rod from the LLFS first week of February(anyone interested in going let me know). Kayak fishing down the shore for blues and a nice 31" snook from a kayak down at my uncle's house by Pine Island sound. Love it down there. The water is sooo shallow, not many boats flying around in the mangroves. Some days you can see tons of tailing redfish other days you might not see anything. The snook was hanging out by a dock light just after it got dark out. I usually visit them twice a year and Im hoping to get down there for tarpon season in the spring.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 14:17

From Delaware Co.
Good stuff .
I own a switchrod 6/7 beulah I used for salt a couple of times this year and loved it. Used it on the lower susky once and did realy well on the channel cats. I probally getting a yak before spring maybe we could hit the Skuke or the big D .

Posted on: 2009/12/29 14:29

From NE Philaedlphia
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
Good stuff .
I own a switchrod 6/7 beulah I used for salt a couple of times this year and loved it. Used it on the lower susky once and did realy well on the channel cats. I probally getting a yak before spring maybe we could hit the Skuke or the big D .

Yea, definitely. I have a pontoon and a yak, I just don't have enough space in my wrangler to transport both at the same time. If I had a bigger car I wouldn't have a problem using one and letting someone else use the other. The yak is a tandem but it is a breeze to maneuver solo. It tends to be a pain in the ass using the fly rod when someone else is in it. When I take my girlfriend down the shore I usually stick with conventional gear out of the yak that way she can have fun fishing and she won't get a fly imbedded in her head. I have both pretty well rigged for fishing though. The pontoon has a real nice anchor system and hopefully I will be adding a motor mount when I feel like going through the process of geting it registered. The yak has four convention rod holders molded in and an addition three conventional holders strapped to the crate in my tank well. I also mounted a scotty fly rod holder that can be swapped out with a baitcaster and I added an anchor trolley system.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 14:54

From Bozeman
A10,

A jeep wave to you.

How do you transport the boats? Roof rack? Strap em down?

I am considering a yak or toon and drive a '05 wrangler with hard top.

I strapped a rowboat to it before, but didn't feel comfortable taking it more than a few miles.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 15:05

From NE Philaedlphia
Quote:

jayL wrote:
A10,

A jeep wave to you.

How do you transport the boats? Roof rack? Strap em down?

I am considering a yak or toon and drive a '05 wrangler with hard top.

I strapped a rowboat to it before, but didn't feel comfortable taking it more than a few miles.

A jeep wave back to you.

I have a kargo master congo rack. I used to work down at quadratec in west chester so the guys there hooked me up. I my opinion if you don't want to get into buying an expensive cargo rack, a pontoon would be your best option. I am not too familiar with the hardtops but i am pretty sure that they make the crossbars for the hardtop that you could strap a pontoon directly on. My pontoon fits in the back if i take the seat out and it is fully deflated but it is a pain in the ass if you want to make a couple drifts on say the upper delaware. I probably wouldn't strap a yak to the hardtop just because between the weight of the kayak with the wind and the yak swaying(even a little bit), it puts a strain on your windshield. The inflatable pontoon has more give than the solid hull of a kayak. Due to the angle our windshields are notorious for cracking with all the little rocks that don't deflect off easily and all it takes is a little chip and a little pressure and you got yourself a nice size crack.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 16:33

From Bozeman
Good point about the cracking.

Thanks for the tips. I've got a while to go before I am making a purchase, so I'll have to do my homework. I'll let you know what I find. I was leaning toward a pontoon, so your input helps that.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 16:43

From NE Philaedlphia
They are much lighter and i personally like the pontoons because they sit higher in the water, you can take them through rougher, rocker water without worrying about wearing away the bottom like the plastic on a kayak. I use my kayak for pretty much all of my saltwater fishing and the pontoon for the freshwater. I worry that the metal on the pontoon would be more susceptible to rust in the salt. There really isn't any freshwater application(i have found) that where the kayak will work better than the pontoon.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 16:52

From Bozeman
Cool. I think the 'toon is better for floating streams and rivers too, right? In MT this summer, it looked like guys were nymphing out of them like drift boats. Did you ever try that?

Posted on: 2009/12/29 16:54

From NE Philaedlphia
I used it just like a drift boat on the Upper D. It is much better for floating streams. Having two paddles makes a huge difference when you are trying to slow your drift down by paddling upstream where as a kayak you can only ever have one side of the oar in the water at a time and you end up getting all spun around or over exerting yourself.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 17:04

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
Coweneskie (sp) lake here is rated a really good muskie lake with a record waiting in there. plus theres camping. and lots of smallies on the rivers there (coweneski, tioga, and chemung) all have musky , striper, bass.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 19:02

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Bozeman
Sandfly,

How is the wade fishing in those rivers?

Posted on: 2009/12/29 19:03

From SEPA
Quote:

Fredrick wrote:
Good stuff .
I own a switchrod 6/7 beulah I used for salt a couple of times this year and loved it. Used it on the lower susky once and did realy well on the channel cats.

How's that work out for you? I want one, but I can't really come up with a compelling reason to buy other than I don't have it.

You think a 6/7 is too light to do both salt and river bass, or are you happy with what you picked?

Posted on: 2009/12/30 1:30

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com