MI record muskie

skiltonian

skiltonian

Photos of muskie record
http://www.fieldandstream.com/photos/gallery/fishing/2009/09/new-michigan-state-record-great-lakes-muskie-caught-torch-lake

Wonder if it was with a fly rod?

I know that beast was caught in MI, but I would have to say, of all the freshwater fish found in PA, the muskie is the king of gamefish with respect to both size and fight....a freshwater tarpon with teeth!

I've caught a few smaller ones, 20 - 30+ inches on a fly rod. I've hooked a few big ones, but didn't stand a chance of landing them without a wire leader and a whole bunch of luck. They are amazing fighters.

Tweed if I ever get my kayak we can try our luck at Marsh creek

fish the delaware there are muskies there over 60" seen them had them on. A 72" fish was netted in the shad nets a few years back. My largest release was 52".

Caught in the tioga River this year..

Attachments

• doug2.jpg
    doug2.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 1
Fred,

I can't afford a kayak any time soon and have a list of 10 or so locations to try to wade this year for Muskies. Brian and I are on a mission. We'd be happy to have you along.

Sweet I'm game

ooh ooh ooh,can i go too?

Shakey,

You got it.

Expect a PM once the weather starts to warm.

I have a jaw spreader and a bolga grip so all we need is bite tippet :-D

A MUSKIE JAM!

Fred, hopefully you will get your yak by the spring. Jay and Shakey, i have 3 kayaks. We'll just have to figure out how to haul one on your bike Shakey!...LOL.

That would be one hell of a "Nantucket sleigh ride" in a kayak being pulled by a 50" muskie! :-o

PA Muskie info: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/musky.htm

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/musky/00musky_waters_ranked.htm

Looks like were closer to some good pops of Muskies than I thought HEHEHE

Marsh Creek Res is a good place around here Fred. Also the Susky where we fished has quite a few musky, but the smallmouths keep getting in the way ;-)

hmmmmmm,a kayak set up as a sidecar?interesting idea.

I have been interested in trying to get out and catch a musky for a while now. Just ordered an orvis 11' 8wt switch rod today for everything from stripers off the beach to steelhead up at the salmon river this February(really looking forward to that trip, anyone interested in going shoot me a pm) I don't see why the rod wouldn't work for muskies too. If anyone wants to try and get out on Marsh Creek or the Schuylkill River when the water warms up a bit shoot me a pm. I have a kayak and a pontoon but I would also be interested in doing some wading.

Count me in on the musky JAM too.... :)

Anyway, the fish in the photo is a heckuva musky. Imagine, the PA state record from Conneaut Lake is bigger still! I think our state record muskie may continue to stand for a long time. The photo of the Michigan fish is also a neat study in the different color patterns typical of different strains of muskellunge. This fish is typical of great lakes muskies and esp those from Lake St Clair and the St Lawrence River. Note the profuse leopard spots. You almost never see these thick, nickel sized spots on PA muskies. Our fish are predominately Chautaqua Lake strain and usually show a greener hue with vertical stripes much like the one in Sandfly's photo from the Tioga River.
I usually do some winter fishing for river muskies on the Potomac and Juniata Rivers (although usually with conventional tackle) - looking forward to it once the waterways settle down a bit. Awesome fish.

a10loadtoad wrote:
I have been interested in trying to get out and catch a musky for a while now. Just ordered an orvis 11' 8wt switch rod today for everything from stripers off the beach to steelhead up at the salmon river this February(really looking forward to that trip, anyone interested in going shoot me a pm) I don't see why the rod wouldn't work for muskies too. If anyone wants to try and get out on Marsh Creek or the Schuylkill River when the water warms up a bit shoot me a pm. I have a kayak and a pontoon but I would also be interested in doing some wading.

Fred you have to past the test first to see if your Musky Jam worthy .........Do you have any credentials ?

Looks like there's a lot of interest in making this a Jam. I will keep an eye on the fishing reports (and sample the fishing....someone has to do it!) I will post when the fishing looks good. All are welcome to join the Muskie Fly-Fishing Floatilla this spring.

I would like to try to catch a musky someday.

Back