Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: MI record muskie

From NE Philaedlphia
I have been interested in trying to get out and catch a musky for a while now. Just ordered an orvis 11' 8wt switch rod today for everything from stripers off the beach to steelhead up at the salmon river this February(really looking forward to that trip, anyone interested in going shoot me a pm) I don't see why the rod wouldn't work for muskies too. If anyone wants to try and get out on Marsh Creek or the Schuylkill River when the water warms up a bit shoot me a pm. I have a kayak and a pontoon but I would also be interested in doing some wading.

Posted on: 2009/12/28 20:30

From Gettysburg
Count me in on the musky JAM too....

Anyway, the fish in the photo is a heckuva musky. Imagine, the PA state record from Conneaut Lake is bigger still! I think our state record muskie may continue to stand for a long time. The photo of the Michigan fish is also a neat study in the different color patterns typical of different strains of muskellunge. This fish is typical of great lakes muskies and esp those from Lake St Clair and the St Lawrence River. Note the profuse leopard spots. You almost never see these thick, nickel sized spots on PA muskies. Our fish are predominately Chautaqua Lake strain and usually show a greener hue with vertical stripes much like the one in Sandfly's photo from the Tioga River.
I usually do some winter fishing for river muskies on the Potomac and Juniata Rivers (although usually with conventional tackle) - looking forward to it once the waterways settle down a bit. Awesome fish.

Posted on: 2009/12/28 20:57

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

a10loadtoad wrote:
I have been interested in trying to get out and catch a musky for a while now. Just ordered an orvis 11' 8wt switch rod today for everything from stripers off the beach to steelhead up at the salmon river this February(really looking forward to that trip, anyone interested in going shoot me a pm) I don't see why the rod wouldn't work for muskies too. If anyone wants to try and get out on Marsh Creek or the Schuylkill River when the water warms up a bit shoot me a pm. I have a kayak and a pontoon but I would also be interested in doing some wading.

Fred you have to past the test first to see if your Musky Jam worthy .........Do you have any credentials ?

Posted on: 2009/12/29 7:13

From Chester County
Looks like there's a lot of interest in making this a Jam. I will keep an eye on the fishing reports (and sample the fishing....someone has to do it!) I will post when the fishing looks good. All are welcome to join the Muskie Fly-Fishing Floatilla this spring.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 7:47

I would like to try to catch a musky someday.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 10:43

From Gettysburg
Okay,
Muskellunge Reality Check......

I think the idea of a musky (or general WW JAM) organized as a float trip this summer would be awesome. I think springtime might be dicey with water levels, spawning bass and distraction with trout fishing. My vote would be for the North Branch Susky for such a trip. In my expereince the best months for river muskies are June and Oct-Dec. However, if one wants to target muskies, they bite year round in rivers. While I'm no musky expert, I've done a fair amount of musky fishing, much in northern Minnesota but a good bit here in central PA.

These fish are tough to catch!

While I don't think they really require an honest 10,000 casts (as the saying goes) - you really need to put in time to hook these fellas. Don't mean to be a downer, but I'd estimate that, under good conditions, with several of us floating several miles of the Susky River throwing big musky flies - we have about a 50%/50% chance of getting ONE fish between all of us and maybe a couple follows or missed strikes. If you really want to catch fish, you should still have a good time with bass (smallmouths 15" and up LOVE big musky flies) but don't expect a bunch of musky glory pics like a steelhead trip. Muskies are great and we should definitely do a trip for 'em but if you're new to this game, be forewarned: Lots of casting - very little catching.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 10:50

FI- understand.

Thats why I would enjoy fishing for Musky or any other fish. But I can see myself getting a little restless with no fishies after a while though.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 10:59

From Chester County
Quote:

acristickid wrote:
FI- understand.

Thats why I would enjoy fishing for Musky or any other fish. But I can see myself getting a little restless with no fishies after a while though.

If we fish the NB, as Dave said, the big smallies will keep you entertained....

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:03

From Bozeman
I am all for a musky jam, but my thinking was similar to fishidiot's.

This musky quest is an adventure that I have been planning for a few months, and I fully expect to spend a few months trying to get the skunk off.

I am all for a gathering, but I would imagine we'd end up chasing smallies, which is totally fine with me.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:05

From Harrisburg PA
I suggest fishing big creeks/small rivers and small lakes to enhance your chances of hooking a musky. The Conodoquinet in Cumberland county, the Swatara in Dauphin county, Maiden Creek in Reading and the lake at Canoe Creek State Park in Blair county have all been decent for me. On the smaller bodies the fish are earier to locate. No giants yet(50"+), but I believe it will happen, most likely IMO is at Canoe Creek State Park.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:12

From Delaware Co.
Dave Marsh Creek Lake is ranked 7th on the PFBC list for Musky it also has just about every other species of fish except trout . And with the water warming up in spring the Musky will seek shallow areas of the lake that warm quicker will be easy pickins with a fly rod . Plus it will save us the trouble about worring about float times and pick up points .

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:20

From Harrisburg PA
Fred,

easy pickins and musky fishing are 2 phrases to don't go together terribly well. I do however hope everyone who makes a honest effort to catch one gets the chance, they are great fun!

Scott

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:24

scotto- Canoe Creek Lake, huh.

Never thought of that one.

Stopped by the lake last year to kill some time at the beach area between am and pm summer stream fishing. It's a much bigger lake than I thought.

Warm water fishing abounds in the western part of the state- so I hear, as I have spent much less time pursuing warmwater fishes- but I look forward to the opportunities in the future.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 11:48

From Harrisburg PA
Kid,

Canoe Creek Lake has an abundant musky and bass population, which is managed under the "Big Bass" regs. Thousands of rainbow trout are stocked in this lake each year and the gamefish have found them very suitable to the palate! Caught my first musky while bass fishing and it was great. The lake is not terribly suited to wade fishing, but from a small water craft, especially a boat with a trolling motor, it provides excellent opportunities for musky and LARGEmouth bass.

Posted on: 2009/12/29 12:04

What are Big Bass regs?

Posted on: 2009/12/29 12:15

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com