Looking for some warm water fun?

PSUFishMenace

PSUFishMenace

I have been having a blast the past few days taking trout spinners to the local bass ponds. Today I landed 8 largemouths in less than an hour, and lost a few others. This consistent warm, sunny weather has them turned on. I basically take any in-line trout spinner, cast along the weed beds, and rip it back in so it makes a slight wake on the surface. If you cast within ten feet of a bass they will dart over and crush it.

On saturday I was checking out a potential trout stream and decided to fish the pond next to it before hitting the stream. There were five other people fishing there, all using worms and bobbers. I cast for about ten minutes, caught two bass and a bluegill, and continued on to the stream. Hit the pond again on my way back out (stream was a dud) and quickly landed two more bass and two bluegills. No one else caught a thing.

Now I said I have been using spinners, but I'm sure any flashy streamer will have the same results. If the streams are high or the trout aren't cooperating and you have a bass pond nearby, give it a shot. It's a blast!

It is indeed easy to catch bass this time of year.

I would suggest some care when doing so. Bass are are usually starting to lay up on redds by now and the males will guard them. If I'm bass fishing in May, I usually try to see if fish are on redds or near shoreline spots suitable for spawining and if so, it's my personal preferance to leave them alone (keep in mind, it's illegal to knowingly fish to bass on redds). A bass pulled off its redd for even a few moments can lose an awful lot to maurading sunfish etc.

Thanks for the reminder. I should add that the ones I caught were all fairly small (9-13") and were roaming the weed beds, not gaurding eggs. I did have one come off its nest to hit, but it quickly broke my line. It's easy enough to avoid them and I agree that they should be left alone if on redds.

Back