HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Leader lenght for LM Bass

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
When I switch to a good sized bugger or clouser, and want some depth I often add 3' of tippet say 2x or so to the tapered leader. I find that 4 or 5' of straight mono followed by the floating fly line tends to lift up my flies off the bottom. The longer length of mono (leader + tippet) tends to run deeper.

This is where we are on different paths... I always tie directly onto the leader. After years of salt water fishing in MA, I just never know when a toothy fish will surprise me. The rigid leader just gives more protection against teeth than tippet material, so I just don't use tippet for warm water... even when targeting bass. I've learned from experience that many "surprise" fish were lost from cut tippet.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 0:57

From Chester County
What pound or diameter straight leader do you use and how long is it? A short leader heavy connected to floating line never seems to get deep enough for me.

Posted on: 2010/3/14 9:32

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
What pound or diameter straight leader do you use and how long is it? A short leader heavy connected to floating line never seems to get deep enough for me.

I typically use Maxima chameleon 10 to 15 lb. The 15 comes in at .015.
I will also confess to hating to "go deep." I will often look for situations where I can use poppers or shallow deceivers (even if I have to move) rather than go deep.
I certainly will go deep if I have to, of course. When I do, I'll switch to a sink tip or I have a few (very few) flies tied with 1/10th oz nickel eyes.

Posted on: 2010/3/15 15:52

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com