Late fall/winter tailwater toothies?

streamerguy

streamerguy

One of my goals this year was to get a pike or musky on the fly, but that didn't happen. I'm not giving up yet and might want to try a little starting now, throughout the winter, and then definitely next spring and summer.

I mentioned tailwaters since they don't freeze up, but if we have another mild winter then I won't limit myself to only tailwaters. I don't know the whole spotburning situation(if there is one lol) with pike and muskies, but all the ones I'm planning on fishing(3 or 4) just happen to be stocked with trout. I'm also gonna scout out a new one this weekend, except this one doesn't have trout.

So how active are toothies in the winter? These tailwaters aren't bottom release, but since they don't freeze I'm sure the water temps are a little warmer than the other area rivers. Even if they aren't that active I'll still give it a shot, I love fishing on warm winter days even if I do get skunked. Better than sitting around in the house all day.

Bottom release dams are a big question mark. I think that unless there stocked below the numbers are not in your favor. Surviving the depth change is the problem. Kinzua dam and the tailout and the allegheny is open all winter and Is your safist bet. Ive yet to hook a musky in winter but have caught pike in just about ever month of the year. They seem to stay more active. But musky have to eat and when they do it a BIG meal. Good luck too ya. And by the way trout are "scooby snacks" for toothies!

Thanks. I was also thinking the Allegheny, but I'm more interested in the smaller water(not far from the Allegheny though). I'll definitely be on it come springtime, who knows maybe this winter also.

I already thought about tying some flies that look like trout. It's going to be a fun winter!

If its a trib that dumps into the allegheny it will haver toothies in it sometime during the year. Depending on season and water conditions.

Yeah, one of them is a trib to the river. I'm pretty sure you can guess which one. The other ones aren't, but still in the NW part of the state and have trout.

I've never caught or seen a muskie there(I know they're there), although I have caught one in each of the other tailwaters. Not on fly gear though or in the winter.

Power plant warm waters are muskie magnets. I never caught one on the fly, but if I wanted to catch one during the winter that's where I'd be.

It might even be cheating.

Back