Lake Panfish

V

Van_Cleaver

I've been hitting a small lake nearby, but suspect most of the SE PA lakes (and many others throughout) are starting to fish well. Most nights a jig style bugger is all I need, and whenever it goes calm, poppers are the bomb. A lot of the fish are small to medium gills, but every once in a while I hook a nice bass or crappie.

Took my spinning rod as well the other night and that was way too easy. Right before dark the wind died and I grabbed my 10' 3/4 and started banging them on top. It's is billed as a European style nymph rod, but considering how light it is I find it well suited to my style for tossing poppers as well.

Van_Cleaver wrote:
...whenever it goes calm, poppers are the bomb!....

:)

Nice!!

No doubt, loads of fun without a lot of effort or gizmos or specialized techniques or special flies.

Definitely not "technical" fly fishing....but fun fishing for sure. Good stuff.

Regular straight up "fun fishing" is the best kind in my opinion anyways. I wish I had a pond on my property. I'd cast to sunfish every day if I did.

I would get nothing done if I had my aunt's farm pond on my property.

I regularly fish for panfish and prefer fishing for them over trout. When the water cools and they stop hitting on top try a bully bluegill spider it's a great fly. I caught over a dozen today on one. Spring is the best time to get the bull bluegills.

I agree it isn't what you call "technical" fly fishing, however like all fishing there are times that are tougher than others. I went out with the light waning recently and there was a fair amount of surface activity. Managed to miss about six in a row before I slowed down enough to hook up somewhat consistently. Of course the fish had already cooled down and I was content with about a half doz. gills to hand.

Despite what might have been pilot error the fish were just not as aggressive as the previous trip. That said the fact that I only had about 40 min. of decent light was certainly a factor. Can't wait for some cooler nights and hopefully some crappie action!

Managed to miss about six in a row before I slowed down enough to hook up somewhat consistently. Of course the fish had already cooled down and I was content with about a half doz. gills to hand.
LoL - been there !!! I wound up tying smaller poppers and it helped but I still miss a lot.

jifigz wrote:
Regular straight up "fun fishing" is the best kind in my opinion anyways. I wish I had a pond on my property. I'd cast to sunfish every day if I did.

I used to say the same thing, but for the past 15+ years I have two ponds.

I'm lucky if I fish them more than twice a year. Haven't fished either so far this year. Always something else to do.

After I retire, I might put in a lake with a small cabin next to it. Well, maybe I'll need two cabins, one for me, one for the wife. ;-)

Back