Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Lackawanna Smallmouth?

From North East PA
Recently heard of smallies in the Lackawanna as far north as jermyn and I took the report. I was thinking that my friend was just busting on me until I had independent confirmation at the Newbie Fish and Chips event.

I wuld not have been surprised to hear of smallies close to where the Lackawanna dumps into the Susquehanna, but further north was interesting.

Has anyone from the forum hit any on the Lack and roughly where?

What do you think is the potential impact on the trout fishery?

Posted on: 2012/8/5 16:39

Re: Lackawanna Smallmouth?

From Florida
I've never fished the Lack, but it is not uncommon to find Smallmouth in trout streams. Though trout favor cold water, and bass favor warmer water, there will often be a transitional zone were both trout and bass will readily co-exist.

Though I've heard of smallmouth populations hurting trout fisheries in other states, I wouldn't imagine that they will pose a problem in the Lack.

Long story short, go out and enjoy catching them

Posted on: 2012/8/5 17:12

- Ray Bergman

From Gettysburg
Quote:

goodfortune wrote:
I've never fished the Lack, but it is not uncommon to find Smallmouth in trout streams. Though trout favor cold water, and bass favor warmer water, there will often be a transitional zone were both trout and bass will readily co-exist.

Though I've heard of smallmouth populations hurting trout fisheries in other states, I wouldn't imagine that they will pose a problem in the Lack.

Long story short, go out and enjoy catching them

+1.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 17:14

From Olyphant PA
yep caught a bunch of smalls down in the scranton area and moosic area.

Posted on: 2012/8/5 18:02

It's my understanding from some very reliable sources that some bucket biologists decided to (illegally, I think) stock smallies in the Lack around the confluence with Roaring Brook. This can have a negative effect on the wild trout population.

Posted on: 2012/8/6 18:02

From Chester County
Quote:

FlySwatter wrote:
It's my understanding from some very reliable sources that some bucket biologists decided to (illegally, I think) stock smallies in the Lack around the confluence with Roaring Brook. This can have a negative effect on the wild trout population.

SMBs have been present in the Lackawanna for a very long time. Way before the wild trout took hold. I wouldn't worry.

Posted on: 2012/8/7 7:24

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com