Kayaking Marysville to Conodoguinet

R

riverwhy

I was thinking about doing this stretch but was unsure of being able to park at either of the launches. I could not find a legend for the Fish and Boat Commission Water trails map for the parking status. I did this stretch once before but we rented kayaks from Blue Mountain Outfitters. I liked the stretch from what I remember but wonder if it might be crowded? Any idea how long it would take based on current flows?

If you've done it before, them I'm sure you know about it...Just for anyone reading this who isn't familiar. The Dock Street Dam is in that stretch and has a reputation of being one of the most dangerous low head dams anywhere. Just upstream of the "South" (I83) bridge. Plan accordingly to portage or otherwise avoid it if doing this float.

https://www.pennlive.com/news/2019/07/your-life-flashes-before-your-eyes-central-pa-man-remembers-being-caught-in-the-deadly-dock-street-dam.html

This article says that the Dock Street dam has killed 30 people, and some people call it "The Drowning Machine."

So why is it still there?

There has been a big push for decades now to get rid of "dangerous low head dams," and many of them have been removed. Including many where no one has ever drowned.

But why has the infamous "Drowning Machine" dam not been removed?

troutbert wrote:

But why has the infamous "Drowning Machine" dam not been removed?

I suspect, because it provides the water depth around Harrisburg (City Island area specifically) for recreational boating.

Edit: The article cited budgetary concerns with the city of Harrisburg for removing or making safety alterations to the dam. FWIW. Good article by the way.

It's well marked, and there's been a push to criminally charge those ignoring the warnings and then needing rescue. Just wanted to make sure anyone attempting that float knew about it in advance and had a plan in place to deal with it.

My bad! Pull out was the West Fairview boat launch. It is at the mouth of the Conodoquinet Creek! I though it was the Breeches when we did it.

Ah, yeah, makes sense. That's upstream of the dam.

riverwhy wrote:
My bad! Pull out was the West Fairview boat launch. It is at the mouth of the Conodoquinet Creek! I though it was the Breeches when we did it.

That's a good multi-hour float but will likely be crowded (not that one can avoid company this year on bigger rivers).

Be aware of the Marysville falls - this is just downriver from the Marysville stone arch bridge. It's a bit tough to navigate if you're on the west side. I'd recommend some ropes to help portage your boats between some boulders.

Back