It's Time

SurfCowboyXX

SurfCowboyXX

It's time for the salt, boys. Get out there. That is all.

What about you are you getting out there ?
That is all ...........

Thinking maybe early one morning this week.

Good luck - let us know how you made out.

I haven't been to the shore this year and probably won't make it for a few weeks. Word around the internet is that it is starting off to be a stellar fall run. New England is fishing very well and the mullet run, by many accounts, has been excellent along the NJ shore.

Honestly, I've always felt the mullet run was a bit overrated..... more of a harbinger of the upcoming fishing season (much like the little stoneflies on trout streams in March). Whatever the case, the season has started and better fishing will follow.
Game on.

I'd love to get into doing the salt thing. So much mystery, so much to learn. If anyone has a salt setup for sale or can recommend a decent entry-level outfit, holla!

Anyone have plans to hit NJ surf on Sunday, 9/30?

Early weather predictions don't look very nice. I plan on getting out, location TBD.

Kabutt-

TFO has some nice rods that wont set you back too much. Depending on what you have already, I would say a 10wt is about right. I like my Teton reel too. It's heavy but tough. Lamson has some nice reels also, i have a velocity for my 8wt. Little bit more $$ than the Teton.

There is a TON of bait in NJ right now, and the kayak guys were scoring on albies last week. seems to have slowed a bit. Some reports of bass to 30" in W NY sound too. Also from kayak. Some monster blues mixed in.

10 wt is the weight of choice but you can get away with an 8 on a nice day. Lamson has some nice reels and I have seen echo rods that look nice. Never tried one but they can take a lot from what I have seen.

IMO it is the best time of they year. You got blues albies and bass. But I am of the ideoloigy that you the most consistent bass action will be after the first full moon in October. From what I have seen this summer it gonna be a good run of peanuts too. So it chould be a good October. Hopefully a good sandeel November like last year.

Mkoloch i thinking about going down the 6th. Probably do a afternoon night on the beach.

Marc

I've had good experiences with TFO rods, they're definitely great for the price. I already feel outgunned when I'm on the Susky with my 6wt - I'd lean towards the 10 for sure. Something to look forward to next year...

I recommend 10 weight, fast action, two spools-one intermediate and one shooting line.

why not one spool and all shooting lines..
8wt is fine for small flies and fish, but for the larger fish and to get out there a 10-12 wt is better. or a 2 hander rod too..

Weather prediction is not so great for Sunday.

Saturday Night
Overcast with a chance of rain. Fog overnight. Low of 63F. Winds from the NNE at 5 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Sunday
Partly cloudy with a chance of rain. High of 68F. Breezy. Winds from the ENE at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 70% with rainfall amounts near 0.4 in. possible.

NE wind...bass weather...sandy hook.

Besides the 20 mph sound good to me .

Wind was brutal there on sunday...don't think I've ever used that much effort to cast 30 ft.

Ton of bait, but only small fish were caught between us. Counting down till I can get back out now...

I'll have the spinning equipment with me as well.

Have to be able to find some back water that is protected.

I might be heading out for a few hours this sat not sure on location yet .

Frederick, I'm thinking early, early, tomorrow if I hear good news from some folk after work today. If you'd like, we can meet up and give it a shot together.

Back