Interesting catch...a Muskellunge on the move

M

Mike

Reported to me this week with a few photos attached was the catch of a pure Muskellunge in what I would estimate to have been in the 35-40 inch range. It was captured by an angler fishing the very lower, non-tidal Delaware, approximately 20-25 miles downstream from its known point of origin. The photos showed that it was from Lake Nockamixon, identifiable by the more permanent pelvic fin clip that one of our crew members had given the fish during a recent population survey. By recent I mean annual spring Muskellunge trap netting surveys during the past five years. The fish had at some point gone over the 90 ft dam, swum down Tohickon Creek about 6 miles to the Delaware, and then down the Delaware.

The fish was stocked by the Penn Jersey Chapt of Muskies, Inc Chapt 50 following one of their purchases of 12 inch "fingerlings" from a private Wisconsin Hatchery. Based on the size of the fish it was stocked sometime between 2012 and 2014.

The annual surveys are part of the statewide 10 year study of the response of multiple lake Muskellunge populations to the move from a 30 inch length limit to a 40 inch length limit. The other lake being studied in SE Pa is Blue Marsh Res. Nockamixon is the only lake being sampled 10 out of 10 years; the rest are being sampled 5 out of 10 years.

Nockamixon is receiving special attention due to the stocking of the large fingerlings, the replacement of pa tigers with those pure breds, and the large number of muskellunge that we have been able to PIT tag in the lake, allowing us the unusual opportunity to follow the growth of potentially good numbers of individuals and perhaps estimate mortality rates. We are already seeing that once male Muskellunge reach maturity they suddenly don't grow very much. As in Wisconsin and Minnesota, if you catch a 40 inch Muskellunge it is highly likely that it is a female.

Finally, a former PFBC seasonal worker and good d friend is a fisheries manager in NW Wisconsin. In a previous tracking study using radio telemetry he found muskellunge and walleye annually moving 30 miles upstream in the fall from a downstream power dam to the base of an upstream power dam, staying there until spring spawning was concluded, and then moving 30 miles back downstream to the other dam. This was repeated annually.

All of this muskellunge movement may suggest that muskellunge anglers should consider this in their choices of fishing locations in flowing waters. The fish don't necessarily stay where they are stocked as fingerlings.

Interesting - thanks.

I wonder how much further downriver this guy may have moved? Have any muskies/tigers ever turned up below the tide line in the DelRiv?

I recall a recent study (I think from WS or MN) suggesting a penchant among muskies to go over dams and it wouldn't be surprising to find muskies below pretty much all of the stocked lakes if the dam has a passable spillway.

Dave,

IDK about the Delaware, but I'm aware of 2 that have been caught in the tidal Potomac in DC. I should point out that although this is tidal water it is still pure fresh water due to the speed and volume of the river entering the tidal portion through a deep narrow channel. Keeps the salt at bay except in severe drought.

One of the two fish was a tiger, which probably pulled the same move that Mike describes and escaped from a lake in either MD or VA. The other was a pure which probably came from many miles upriver.

Dave_W wrote:
Interesting - thanks.

I wonder how much further downriver this guy may have moved? Have any muskies/tigers ever turned up below the tide line in the DelRiv?

I recall a recent study (I think from WS or MN) suggesting a penchant among muskies to go over dams and it wouldn't be surprising to find muskies below pretty much all of the stocked lakes if the dam has a passable spillway.

the DE State Record Musky was caught below the tide on the Brandywine below the water st dam. it was 20lbs +

plus, northern pike are fished for and caught in the Baltic Sea, along with Red Fin Perch and Walleye (zander).

like Salmon and Trout, pikes and perches can slowly adjust to saltwater in brackish water, and seasonally move between the two.

Those Muskies being caught in the state of Delaware are coming from Marsh Creek Lake, Chester Co, Pa. It has been going on since the late 1970's.

Mike wrote:
Those Muskies being caught in the state of Delaware are coming from Marsh Creek Lake, Chester Co, Pa. It has been going on since the late 1970's.

Hmmmm....I wonder if the “musky stamp” should be marketed toward the Delaware anglers..

Discuss.

Back