Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

Re: ITT we expose our Basses

From Philly
You folks are killin me with the smallies! Took a hard skunking this past weekend...gotta get back out soon.

I love seeing the different markings (or lack thereof) and shades on the SMBs. Even just within PA, this thread shows there's a ton of variety.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 8:29

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Been floating the Lehigh and having a blast. Caught a few biguns yesterday evening. Flows are perfect and the weather has been as well.

Posted on: 2013/7/31 12:31

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From S.E. PA
Nice bass everyone. I've been out a bit,not as much as I'd like. Caught about 5 SMB and so far biggest was 14". All from small streams.

Posted on: 2013/8/1 6:50

I fished a new stretch of my favorite small stream over the weekend. Easily one of my best afternoons bassing with a fly rod. I landed 8 fish between 14-16", which is incredible for this stream. Usually, if I get one 16" smallie from this stream, Im ecstatic. Then, I was fishing the classic "railrod trestle hole", which was more of a deep run, and I hooked up with a bruiser. I was standing on the bridge column, so I had to fight the fish back to the other end of the column where I could jump down(and not land in 6 fow) and net it. I truly thought I had my first 20" on the fly, but it wasnt meant to be. Taped out at 18.75-19". Still, one of my better smallmouth. I caught one on spinning gear back in may on the yough that had to be 20, cause i could barely fit it in my net, and my net opening is 20" with a deep basket. It flopped out of the net before I could get back to the bank to photograph it. Anyways, that fish tale is for another day. Back to yesterday. I retrieved my barbless fly no probs, but saw something in the fish's mouth. I thought i twas puking a baitfish/crayfish, but it turned out to be a 3-4" tube hooked in the fish's tongue area. It still had 3" of line attached to it. I felt terrible, so I tried to get the tube out, but it had to have had a barbed hook. I tried for 10 seconds, couldnt do it easily, so I decided to release the fish with the tube in its mouth. I felt like I was going to do more harm than good, what do you think? The good news is the tube wasnt hooked in the gut/gills, so im hoping this doesnt turn out to be a fatal injury. I would love to have that fish reach 20" for me. Finished the day with revisiting a big pool that didnt produce earlier in the afternoon, and hooked up with another bruiser. I had one deep run from the fish, then a huge aerial display, and it was off. Looked to be in the same class as the big one of the day. Maybe that is my 20"er waiting to be caught. I love fishing new water when it produces. Pics to come when I get home from work.

Posted on: 2013/8/5 9:41

Pics from the afternoon

Attach file:

jpg  P8041197 small.jpg (134.51 KB)
4455_5200223ae74b3.jpg 754X858 px

jpg  P8041200 sml.jpg (133.73 KB)
4455_52002325182ba.jpg 837X741 px

jpg  P8041203 small.jpg (140.95 KB)
4455_5200233ce8b86.jpg 889X684 px

jpg  P8041204small.jpg (118.50 KB)
4455_52002345d1225.jpg 876X657 px

jpg  P8041201 small.jpg (119.92 KB)
4455_520023529f92a.jpg 918X689 px

Posted on: 2013/8/5 18:12

Here is one of my bigger ones I have caught on the fly rod. It grabbed a triple p popper on the Lehigh. It pulled my toon and I around for a little bit. Not such a small feat. I also landed a 20 inch rainbow with the popper a few days later, but that is another story.

Attach file:

jpg  SMB.jpg (76.37 KB)
3949_520074a455a23.jpg 936X374 px

Posted on: 2013/8/6 0:00

From Ohio
Nice fish guys!

Posted on: 2013/8/6 8:06

Quote:

SBecker wrote:
Here is one of my bigger ones I have caught on the fly rod. It grabbed a triple p popper on the Lehigh. It pulled my toon and I around for a little bit. Not such a small feat. I also landed a 20 inch rainbow with the popper a few days later, but that is another story.

That is one of the darkest smallies ive seen. Its nearly black! How big was it?

Posted on: 2013/8/6 8:25

About 15 inches I'd say.

Posted on: 2013/8/6 10:32

From Luzerne County, PA
Aug. 5th Susqhehanna North Branch white fly madness

That's a Joe Ackourey moth imitation stuck in the upper jaw

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/6 17:03

Is Ackourey still in business, or are those old ties?

I have been down there and this Ephoron Leukon hatch has been going on for at least 10 days at this point, we are talking hundreds of millions of flies. Just walls of flies, bank to bank, 100 yards wide for miles and miles. The channels are gorging once the surface is at about 20 flies per square foot. The cats first appear by sound, they all clamp their jaws and you hear it ,then you see dorsals, and you can hit them with a flashlight and see their stomachs.

I have some hog smallmouth on camera, one is 20 flat, real thick, need to edit the cursing, lol.

I need to find a flat water spot near deeper water since the river dropped. They have vacated my area. They were all slabs though, they only seem to be taking flies in my area, nobody with topwater was breaking 17 inches, but the real hogs over that were on flies. These are smart old fish that wait for this and gorge. The river sounds amazing at about 10pm, once the cats and walleye, bass, and musky are tearing into suckers, carp, and fallfish that are sipping these flies.

It is hard to get them after a critical mass point, but not impossible all nights. A few nights it was pointless at least for just increased sizes of the fly tactic, even like a 2, there was no point unless you sight fished a channel cat dorsal and threw it in his face.

There are definitely dead areas where you don't see any rises and other areas where there are bass coming up, but you have to first see if they are bass or channels.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 0:32

From Luzerne County, PA
Joe Ackourey no longer has the shop but he still guides and sells flys. I really miss the shop. His Deer Hair Moth pattern is the one I've been using and having success with. I think the best times are early on in the hatch when the water is not absolutely covered with them and after it slows down, the fish get active right at sunset and give themselves away with rises. I cast to the rises and after 20 or so drifts I might get a take.

Another 17 incher tonight, was more than a match for my 6wt. I finally beached him, caught just before sunset and I got to see him slurp up the fly

Resized Image

Some video I took while having a stand still fight with the fish
battle with smallie

Joe Ackourey's Deer Hair Moth, the one on the right was half eaten by the big smallie, they look yellow because of the lighting, they are white

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/8/7 4:04

From Ohio
HD,

Great post, thanks for sharing the fly. I've always wanted to fish the whitefly hatch for smallies. We don't have a whitefly hatch where I am. When I catch smallies on the surface its on poppers. I might tie up the moth pattern and give it a shot to see if it peaks the interest of my local smallies, even if there is no whitefly hatch.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 7:27

From Delaware Co.
Quote:

boychick wrote:
HD,

Great post, thanks for sharing the fly. I've always wanted to fish the whitefly hatch for smallies. We don't have a whitefly hatch where I am. When I catch smallies on the surface its on poppers. I might tie up the moth pattern and give it a shot to see if it peaks the interest of my local smallies, even if there is no whitefly hatch.

A white popper works wonders

Posted on: 2013/8/7 10:52

From Ephrata, PA
Hey what about dragonflies? Do bass eat them beehotches? I see a lot of them over the bass waters I fish, and I see big bass becoming air born at times, but I can never tell if they're going after the dragonflies or some other unseen bug.

Posted on: 2013/8/7 11:11

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com