Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: How hot is too hot for largemouth?

From Eastern PA
Quote:
The original range for Largemouth Bass was down South. I'm sure this weather won't hurt them. I would be more concerned with the lack of rain affecting their habitat.

Two strains on bass. Florida and Northern. Florida strain are tougher to catch, get bigger due to their growing season and tolerate warmer temps. Northern bass are less tolerant of higher temps, are easier to catch and have a limited growing season thus are smaller on average. Having said that, Northern strain bass can tolerate these water temps fine, however if the lake/pond you are in stratifies in the Summer they are gonna stay deep.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 0:17

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
What time of day are you fishing, what bodies of water are you fishing and what is your buddy throwing and is he having any success?

So far we've only fished Newton Creek in South Jersey, a block from my buddy's house, as we're going through a huge pain in the a** trying to get this boat and trailer registered (we'll end up doing boat in PA and trailer in NJ).

Fished evening both times.

I'm almost completely ignorant about spinning lures, so I can't say what he's throwing with any confidence. Large things on wire contraptions that make a lot of noise and are retrieved quickly, worms, and a variety of other things that I don't know anything about.

As for success, no. The only bass landed in 2 trips was a < 6 oz bass on my fly rod.

He did land a bluegill that jumped out of the water and landed in his lap as we were motoring back to the boat launch last time we were out. :)

Posted on: 2010/7/8 17:19

From Greensburg, PA
I might find some new water...seriously.

Posted on: 2010/7/8 22:30

From Philadelphia, PA
Quote:

tomgamber wrote:
I might find some new water...seriously.

Top of my list as soon as the trailer is registered. :)

Posted on: 2010/7/9 1:01

From Perkiomen Township, PA
The Florida Bass is "native" to Florida only. The Range for Northern Largemouth starts in Northern Florida. To a fish born and raised in PA the hot temps we are having may be noticable but as a species they physically have been dealing with these conditions for a long time.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 5:36

Does this hold true for smallmouth as well?

Posted on: 2010/7/9 8:57

From Perkiomen Township, PA
Smallmouth are a little more sensitive to higher temperatures. Their original range was from the Middle of the Mississippi and north, along its tributaries, the Great Lakes and as far as Hudson Bay. That said, they have a much higher tolerance to heat than say Trout do. From what I've read they start to slow down in the mid 80's. Here again your best time is early AM and later PM.

Posted on: 2010/7/9 18:41

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com