Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: How do you tie your POPPER

From Greensburg, PA
most of those poppers can be thrown with a 6wt...

Posted on: 2008/2/4 9:27

From Lewistown
I chucked 8" heavily weighted streamer with a 6 wt. for northerns.
Everyone told me that an 8 wt. tis the minimum for pike, but I had no problem handling the fish. With the streamers I could throw about 60 feet of line before it became a struggle. so, I'm sure that a 6 wt. could manage a light weight popper.

Posted on: 2008/2/4 10:12

From Delaware Co.
When I fish for bass I mainly use a 8 wt and I think its easier to cast bigger flies and makes my time on the stream fun.

I have met Philly before in the sporting gentleman and he has some crazy bass flies , he even has a fly that looks like a rapala . Those are some nice poppers philly but I would be scared to fish with them they look to dam good .

I thought about buying a air brush to paint my poppers but I decided not to because I would be putting all my time and money into something that I could loose at any time when fishing. So I make my poppers quick and simple and they catch just as many fish. Not including drying time it takes me under 5 minutes for each one .

I would like to try the transfer foil stuff were could one person obtain some of it and how so you use it

Posted on: 2008/2/4 15:09

From North Catty
Good question and I too am patiently awaiting an answer : )

Posted on: 2008/2/5 19:40

From York, PA
Orvis fresh water rods only go to a size 6! That's the Helios and the Zero Gravity. Even the cheapo Clearwater II states that sizes 7 to 9 are for "Salt Species"

Bob Clouser, a wonderful fly fishing guide that fishes the same water I do, put such heavy lead eyes on his Clousers, he uses a 8 or 9! LOL He also targets carp when the smallmouth won't cooperate.

IMHO, that's a overkill. You can easily land any freshwater fish on a 6wt.

You can tie huge top water stuff that doesn't weigh anything.

Posted on: 2008/2/6 20:30

From Bozeman
Wooly,

I don't think it matters what they rate them. If it says "salt" but it gets the job done, well... it gets the job done.

I think you'd be in trouble if you fished the salmon run in NY with a 6weight.

Posted on: 2008/2/7 0:28

From York, PA
JayL,

You make an excellent point. It's just that I prefer to use light tackle.

Maybe if I purchased a Helios 8wt? But they are $775, but only 2 7/8oz way lighter than my 5wt Sage........ pricey, but something for me to think about! I'll spend whatever I have to with my fly stuff. What else in life is better to spend money on?

For me the point is: rather than buying a heavyweight fly rod that would be great for big heavy flies, I would rather tie some big light flies that I can use with a 6wt!

Same thing with trout, I like a 3 or 4 wt the best.

Panfish......... a 3 or 4 is fine for this guy.

I really enjoy my fishing. I love to use the best and lightest stuff available.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 0:13

From Bozeman
Wooly,

I think you've got the right idea man. Do it the way ya wanna do it, and that's all that matters. Fishing is one thing that, hopefully, will always be like that. I'll drink to that, for sure.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 0:30

From Greensburg, PA
While I agree, I think sometimes manufacturers designate something as a salt rod more for the non-corrosive hardware they add so they don't just fall apart after a few tangles with ocean water. And for marketing purposes of course. If you go to some of the saltwater fly fishing websites and read the reports and suggestions, many are using no more than a 6wt for most of their fishing. They get the big stuff out for species specific trips...

Posted on: 2008/2/8 9:52

Dell's had my computer since Monday and I just got it back today.

All the flies I posted can be fished with a 6 wgt. The pencil poppers and the last one are the ones I would most likely use with a 6 wgt. I can cast the others but it wouldn't be as much fun, more like work.
I can't see that far back on the string, but someone mentioned tossing an 8 inch fly with a 6 wgt. I fish 5 to 8 inch flies when I go up to Ontario for my vacation with my 6 wgt and have been able to handle pike up to 28 inches on it. I think it's a misconception that large flies have to be heavy flies. It's not that difficult to tie a large fly that won't knock you out if it hits you on the back of the head.
Transfer foil. I use to find some in the local craft stores but not anymore, not sure why the don't carry it around here as it appears to be a staple in the arts and craft world, but they don't. Now, I either pick it up at shows or on line. Google "Jones Tones"
I'm pretty sure they're set up for on line sales now. I use mainly Mother of Pearl or a couple of different holographic silvers and holographic gold on occasion. If you've seen "loco foam" or "sili skin" then you've seen transfer foil after its been applied to a surface. For sheets of foam, you can either use the adhesive backed sheets or coat a sheet with foiling glue which dries translucent and tacky. For popper bodies you apply foiling glue to the bodies and when it's tacky you apply the transfer foil dull side down, pull the backing off and the foil stays on the foam.

Posted on: 2008/2/8 21:29

From Lewistown
Here's a couple I just tied up ---- 2 snow days in a row.

Attach file:

jpg  Copy of Popper.jpg (33.14 KB)
69_47b32ed6a816b.jpg 314X235 px

jpg  Copy of Foam Frog.jpg (28.09 KB)
69_47b32eee5e820.jpg 314X235 px

Posted on: 2008/2/13 12:55

From SW PA
Guys,

Instead of starting another thread on poppers, I figured I'd revive this one. I came across this intersting concept for foam/cork poppers, Bubble Head Popper I think this could easlily be coverted to a warmwater species also.

JH

Posted on: 2009/1/4 16:06

From Lancaster
Mckern, what material are those frog popper's legs tie with?

Posted on: 2009/1/4 19:02

From Lewistown
The legs are polypropolene yarn in cream and green. I place a strip of green on top of a strip of cream and lash them together using a needle in the vise or by hand.

Posted on: 2009/1/5 8:24

Considered it revived. You could probably create that using a Crease fly as the basis. I considered doing a Bob's Banger and drilling holes through to see if I could create bubble trails like some of the offshore trolling lures. May still have to give that a whirl.
If I were to use a preformed body, I'd have to hollow it out a bit with a dremel tool before drilling the hole in the top.
I was looking for some new popper ideas. I think I'll give that one a shot.

Posted on: 2009/1/9 21:35

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com