Hang loose.

R

Rkey530

Hi everyone, just thought I'd post up a pic of some warmwater flyfishing i've done recently. Peacock bass fishing in Hawaii on Lake Wilson. Really fun. The guide put us in the middle of blitzing pods of fish numerious times and even helped me and my wife get a few double headers. These fish are fighters and don't tire easily. Thats a 5 wt Winston Ibis with wf5 line and a 9'4x tippet. Flies were size 6 gold ribbed bead head white or olive wooly buggers that I had tied for the trip. Fish would boil up chasing schools of baitfish and you just fired a cas in and stripped line as fast as you could untill hopefully your fly got nailed, If it wasn't fast they didnt want to know about it. Takes were NOT subtle. Just a wonderfull afternoon. Not a bad way to spend a day on the honeymoon. Guide service was Hawaii Bass Fishing. They did a great job.

Attachments

• PEACOCK 1 sm 2.jpg
    PEACOCK 1 sm 2.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 14
  • PEACOCK DOUBLE sm2.jpg
    PEACOCK DOUBLE sm2.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 4
I don't know why it amuses me so much to see people pursuing pet industry fish, but it does.

I'm dying to try out peacock bass fishing some day, they look great and seeing the takes on TV makes it look like an absolute blast.

Cool photos. I've had great fun catching butterfly peacocks in canals in south FL. Beautiful fish and a great gamefish. Other than HI, I don't believe peacocks can be caught anywhere else in the US? I think TX may have tried stocking them some years ago but the water temps were just too cold.
Heck, maybe we could stock some in lower Penns Creek in the summer for a nice seasonal diversion. Or maybe put some at the warm water discharges to keep the Susky piranhas company. :)

Back